Looking to get started

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer CTX 3030
Hello everyone. I'm glad to be returning to a hobby I've always loved and wanted to return to.

I started out metal detecting back in the early-mid 90s while I was stationed in Germany with the USAF. I had a Tesoro Sidewinder and metal detected all through the Ardennes region of Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium. Lots of great memories digging up the WW2 relics there.

I have since retired and back in my home state of California. I live out near Edwards AFB in the Antelope Valley and would love to hear from others out here. I no longer have my Tesoro and I'm currently reading everything I can about all the new technology on the metal detectors. I'm not even sure what kind of detecting I want to pursue out here. Relic, Coin or Prospecting.

The last time I bought a metal detector, I was limited on funds, but now I'm ready to go with a top-of-the line detector. The Minelabs have always caught me attention, but the slower sweep speed and slight higher learning curve me get me discouraged in the beginning. Years ago, I dreamed of a Whites XLT and the newer DFX looks like a great all around machine. What drives me away from it is the menu system seems to be awkward and time consuming. Lately, I've drawn my attention to the Fisher F75. This looks to be a great machine even with it's stability problems. From what I've read; the instability can be tamed with the right adjustments.

Anyway, I'd like to know if there is a detector to avoid for this area of the country. Meaning one that doesn't like the Mojave desert ground. I know this used to be a problem with some detectors not working as good as others in the same ground type.

Thanks for any advice getting back into this great hobby. I knew someday I'd come back. ::)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Welcome aboard. There are some CA hunters in your area, but of course, not a lot, d/t you're in a fairly un-populated area of CA (relatively speaking :)) At least, not many that post on forums, inter-act, or are aces anyhow.

Post on the Kinzli California forum, and I'm sure someone will chime in who's from your area. I'm thinking of one fellow from Ridgecrest area. He's done good in ghost town in those parts (barbers, IH's, and even a gold coin once!). There's Bakersfield guys and Pasadena area folk too on the Kinzli forum, which is sort of in your range of locale.

In Germany, did you strictly look for WWII relics? Or did you ever look in spots for old European stuff? I sold a machine on Ebay to a Russian fellow once. Kept in contact with him for a few emails thereafter. It was almost ALL he and his buddies did, was to search for WWII relics (as their part of Russia was apparently a hot spot of camps, fortefied lines, battles, etc...). I couldn't believe that anyone would have the patience to weed through all that shrapnel and junk, for relics that....... in a European sense, were not even that old. Heck, I figured Russia goes many many hundreds of years older than that, why not search for ancient coins somewhere there? But he explained that right now, there is a good collector's market for WWII relics. Insignias, buckles, canteens, helmets, blah blah etc... Apparently it'sactually lucrative enough, that it has become an entire niche among some md'rs there.

OP
OP
Weasel_Loader

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used
Thanks Tom. I'll check out the forum. It is a rather sparse area but full of old mining areas, ghosts towns and such.

Being a WW2 buff, I naturally drew my attention to WW2 battlefields. I was fun, but western battlefields are seriously hunted out long ago. Russia is a gold mine right now and most of what they pull out of the ground ends up outside the country. You wouldn't believe how much an old rusty German helmet can fetch.

That being said, I'd like to take advantage of the area I'm living in now. I work on Edwards AFB and would love to work with the base historical foundation to try and gain access to search the area where the old town of Muroc used to be. It was located just off where our control tower is now and is off limits to most because of it's location. Lot's of history in this area and I'd love to explore it.

Thanks again for the advice on the Kinzli's forum.

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Welcome back to the hobby,

I take it you're now residing in California City? My old stomping grounds for dirt bike riding, Have been going there since 1970 with the last trip around 6-7 years ago.

Another two detectors you may want to look into are the Whites MXT and Minelab X-Terra 70, Both are similar on performance with the F-75. The MXT is more user friendly and like the F-75 and X-70 does well as Relic and Coin detector.

As far as a menu to go through, Both the X-70 and F-75 menu system are in no means awkward as the DFX....So simple to adjust if one needs to correct a setting as ground conditions change....The MXT is more of a detector for those who still prefer twisting knobs and out of the three the most simple detector to learn.

I've owned both the MXT and X-70 including the F-75 you are considering on purchasing, Any of the three you select will be fine for (Relic, Coin or Prospecting) you plan on using the detector for. But please keep in mind the F-75 is still in the beginning stages of getting recognition as a prospecting detector.

For Prospecting, The MXT is proven to be a leader in this field since it's been out in production longer than the X-70 and F-75. Not saying the MXT is better for prospecting but it has more time spend out in the gold fields as a proven prospecting detector.

Another is the X-70, It too is starting to gain recognition as a gold nugget detector. To be honest I have heard positive things about the X-70 working well in your area, You may want to take this into consideration.

If you would like someone to train you with either of the three detectors even if you select another, We can meet in Bakersfield someday which would be about the half way point for both of us...I can then show you which modes and settings are best for Coin, Relic or for Prospecting regardless the detector you purchase and tips I've learned from each of these machines for my particular types of detecting.

HH, Paul (Ca)

OP
OP
Weasel_Loader

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used
Thanks for responding Paul.

Yes, I do reside in Cal City. I'm getting back into detecting because I just recently gave up my other passion and that was dirt biking/racing. I rode a KX500 up until a few years ago and can no longer afford to get hurt and since my son never took to it, I'm hoping he'll get into this with me now that he's older. Cal City is still full of dirt bikers on the weekends. It's our only business. If it wasn't for my great job on the base, I wouldn't live here since I hate this area. I make the best of it though.

Thanks for the advice on detectors. I know it helps to have a detector that's proven. I also think it's important to find people in your area that have the same so that they can offer support and tips. The relic hunting I did with my Tesoro Sidewinder in Germany was super easy since we dug just about every signal. I did very little discriminating, so my knowledge on working a detector to it's advantages was never developed.

I will keep you updated on my venture back into this great hobby and may take you up on a meeting place. Bakersfield is just up the road for me and would be convenient. Thanks again for the advice.

Dan

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dan:
Muroc (the founder's of that town's name, Corum , spelled back) created a homestead at 34-55-30N X 117-52-20 West in 1910. The 'town' of Muroc was then created--all five buildings: The Santa Fe Railroad Depot, the Post office (1910-1951) the general store, gas station and elementary school. The town 'grew' to about 50 souls.

If you could find the site of those buildings you might find some 'goodies'.
Muroc's hayday was in the late 30s when it was the hotrod mecca. Sometimes up to a couple hundred cars were there at one time. Perhaps they even had a 'viewing area' where the spectators viewed the races; another MD hunting ground.

Good luck with finding Muroc; hopefully, it isn't under the tarmac.

Don.....

Sources:
http://books.google.com/books?hl=en...ts=2n1jwdqEFf&sig=ObfT7VT36G8e1FtgdGQmtyqCQSg

Lat/long source:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Muroc+post+office&btnG=Search
page 198

OP
OP
Weasel_Loader

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used
Don,

Thanks. If you visit Google Earth, I have put a push pin on the old town of Muroc.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Number/957669

I've read just about everything there is about the history of this area and can't wait to explore it with a detector. I first need to get permission. For instance, Panch Barnes Happy Bottom Riding Club is located here.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Number/77766

It's strictly off limits. I doubt I'd be able to secure permission, but I did get to know the new curator of the air museum here and we talked at length about the history of the area and looked forward to getting back with me to talk again. This was before I thought about getting back into detecting. They have a few artifacts from Muroc on display. Muroc as you can see from Google earth is totally exposed and sits just off the flightline. I work on the flightline but on the south side (old base) were the bombers are. Tons of history here.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dan:
I note on this page http://www.panchobarnes.com/happybottomridingclub.html the Happy Bottom Riding Club would have 'treasure hunts' for caches of $200 in silver dollars. I can only dream what a $200 cache of old silver dollars would be worth today. I wonder if they found them all..........
You're right, the area is rich in history; and I hope you can dig some of it up.

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Hello Dan,

Here are a few areas (Randsburg, Cantil, Caliente) you may want to look into for relic hunting, I've been to all three of these areas about 20-25 years ago.

Caliente is the oldest of these three, And is located about 35 miles West of your area off 58. Cantil isn't that old (early 1900's) but still early enough for barbers and such, The present school in Cantil is built on top of the original school if I remember correctly and detecting any patch of ground at the Northern side of the corner tracks is the oldest part of town....Used to be old buildings near the tracks when I was in that area back in the eighties.

Randsbury I think is around 1880's? Try to get permission from the property owners and detect any open ground in or near the town.

HH, Paul (Ca)

OP
OP
Weasel_Loader

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used
Even more good places that sound like great hunting grounds.

It's going to be tough deciding on a detector. I've been reading all I can about the different Minelab detectors. SE, Quatro, X-Terra. Whites DFX and MXT. Fisher F75 and Coinstrike. I have not considered the Garrett detectors. They are probably good detectors but look like a Fisher Price toy. I've already owned a Tesoro. It was okay, but then again I didn't take the time to learn it back then. It was pre-internet days and I didn't have anyone near by to really show me how to use it properly. ::)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dan:
When considering a MD, I'm sure you'll also look carefully at the warranty and its length of term. I have a Minelab Explorer. The arm rest cuff broke, I called the Vegas distributor and was sent the next day by UPS two free ones--and it was out of warranty. Now that quality of service is why I'll go back to Minelab for my next one.
Don..

mr. snuffy

Nov 20, 2006
indian wells valley ca.
Detector(s) used
fisher CZ5,tesero bandito gold demon
welcome weasel-loader, I live in the ridgecrest/inyokern area and try to get out every chance i get. haven't found a whole lot here but still haven't done to bad. most of my finds have been around the lonepine area and the panamint valley. haven't been able to get up there very much at all in the last couple years due to cost of gas and when your retired and on a fixed income you tend to watch your pennys closely. aqua duct work camps are good places and they were located about 5 mi. apart also between every other one I think they had a smithy shop, at least thats what I figured out from the lonepine area. I know where 4 of the camps were but still haven't been able to come up with a ladwp map showing the locations. dove springs is one of them, it was the terminus of the railroad spur from cantil and it is trashed out due to all the off roaders over the last few years. I think that maybe my best find is a token from the suttlers store at fort independence, I think there are only 2 known to exist.

OP
OP
Weasel_Loader

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used
Thanks mr. snuffy. Glad to find others in my area. Maybe we can meet up sometime when I get my detector.

I've ruled out the Quattro and will decide between the X-70, SE, MXT or F-75.

Thanks again all.

mr. snuffy

Nov 20, 2006
indian wells valley ca.
Detector(s) used
fisher CZ5,tesero bandito gold demon
yeah,we will have to get together sometime. an x70 is good unit from what I understand, you also might consider a TESERO, they are very good and made in USA plus as far as I know still have a liftime warrenty. I sometimes use a tesero lobo supertrac depending on what I'm lookin for. my detector of choice is my 15 yr old fisher CZ5, it has served me well, of course it be that I just understand better than the others(older ya know). the whites MXT is also a good dual use machine,made in USA also. don't know if I would buy another fisher or not since they were bought out, nuff said.

OP
OP
Weasel_Loader

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used
A couple more questions that I have.

I am now narrowing it all down to Minelab. I have the money for an SE and would like to know if an SE is worth the extra money over the X-70. I plan to use the detector as an all around unit. Gold nuggets, Coins and occasional trips to the beach. To me, it seams the X-70 can do it all pretty well. Just wondering if there is any advantage to having an SE over the X-70.

My second question has to do with headphones. Just like a good stereo system with great speakers, I've read that it helps to have the best headphones you can get. Is the Detector Pro Uniprobe headphones worth the $300+? Seems like a pretty novel idea to have a PI probe built into the headphone circuit. The other Detector Pro heaphones also seem high quality. The Rattler looks appealing to me out here in snake country.

I almost never used headphones with my previous detector since I usually detected alone deep in the woods and it always freaked me out not hearing outside noises. I once almost crapped my pants when two deer came out of nowhere and ran past me within a few feet. After that, I never wore headphones again, but realize I probably missed a lot of stuff.

Thanks for any advice.

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Hi Dan,

I use Rattler headphones, It's the only pair I use for all my detecting except for beach hunting were you need a duel cup headset to block out the ocean noise when detecting near or in the surf...For dry beach dry sand the Rattler will work great if your detector is not able to detect in the wet sand, In dry sand you're still further enough away from the ocean to hear your signal with the one cup Rattler.

I once owned a pair of Uniprobe headphones, I liked them and used them for most of my detectors. However, I prefer hearing my surroundings for safety purposes and went back to using the Rattler and since you live in snake country best go with a Rattler headset and maybe go with the pocket probe instead.

Both the X-70 and SE each have an advantage over the other for certain types of detecting even though both would be considered an almost all-purpose detector, The SE can handle ocean wet sand the X-70 does not fare as well in ocean wet sand but does an outstanding job ocean dry sand.

The SE can not detect the small size gold nuggets or thin gold jewelry the X-70 can, Other than that this is about the two main differences between the two machines.

Both the SE and X-70 have a threshold which to most treasure hunters use this feature to help understand what the ground is telling the user, It's one of the sources of information we use to determine when to increase-decrease our sensitivity or slow and increase our sweep speed.

Also, With the X-70 you're dig more iron (get fooled) which is common for these type of sensitive detectors. However, That is the trade off as in order to have a detector able to detect small size targets such as gold nuggets it will get fool more on tiny iron signals.

If you were not after gold nuggets than I would say go with the SE, But the X-70 appears to suit you needs in the long run.

HH, Paul (Ca)

OP
OP
Weasel_Loader

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used
Thanks. Sounds like that X-70 along with Rattler headphones would serve my purposes best. Thanks again so much for the advice. ;)

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Almost forgot,

Here is the most used coil for the X-70 (5x10" DD High Freq. Coil,) It's the 18.75kHz (higher frequency) for nugget hunting and for relic detecting and still very good for coin shooting.

Many X-70 users including myself perfer this coil for all of our detecting needs, Perfect size (5"X10" elliptical) for getting in between rocks and brush and it's a DD hot from toe to heel not just the center as found on the stock coils.

They retail (New) for around $130.00 give or take a few bucks, After using this coil you'll never go back to using the stock lower or medium Frequency coils.

Sorry about adding on to the thread, Since you looking at maybe getting the X-70 thought you should know about this coil.

HH, Paul (Ca)

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy WL
I live in New Mexico now but used to live in Bishop. Just up the road from you. If you ever get the itch to travel that far North let me know. I can explain in detail to you where to go MD in the Bishop area. I lived there for over 30 years. As a matter of fact I was just in Bishop last week MD with my bro. I scored a nice 1899 IH. I use a pair of Rattler earphones and they work great. They were pretty tight at first so I slipped them around a rolled up sleeping bag liner to keep them slightly spread out. Now they fit just snug enough to stay on, yet not slip off. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread