Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now Gone..Hemet's Red Barn

Hey all,
Down in SoCal we don't have as many beautiful old barns as some of the other states. This barn is quite unique. It is next to Lake Bucarelli which was named by Anza in honor of the Viceroy of Mexico City Antonio de Bucarelli. The locals call it
Mystic Lake because of the fluctuation due to small or large rainfall. The barn itself is generally under about 1-3 ft of water as you seen in the google pix. The water is close and the foto I took today, the water is not close at all. Enjoy

PLL

Attachments

• redbarn2.JPG
    redbarn2.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 532
  • redbarncorral.JPG
    redbarncorral.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 422
  • redbarnbrand.JPG
    redbarnbrand.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 410
  • redbarn1.JPG
    redbarn1.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 444

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Re: Hemet's Red Barn

I think the water actually fluctuates because the lake is located in the San Jacinto floodplain, it wouldn’t be there if not for that, and if it was it would dry up every year. The farmers in that area have complained for years about flood control distric channeling flood waters into that area.

That's the one on the Gillman Springs Road. Do you think the Thoroughbred Horse Farm that was torn down a while back (the one that was over off the 60) would hold goodies. It was located near the camp/farm that the dude collected all the US Postal jeeps?

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Hemet's Red Barn

To Ant and everyone else,
This week in Hemet they have finally torn down this old barn :'( :'(. I found out that the owner of this property was actually living upstairs until he passed ( so I'm told ). During the rainy season he would bring in a trailer to use until it was dry again.

PLL

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Now Gone..Hemet's Red Barn

Hello Metalhead,
I'm not sure who owns it today, I'm sure it's the same guy that is using the land for the cattle. But if you stop by city hall I'm sure they would know.

PLL

Rod Petersen

Mar 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Details of this Barn and the great man who lived there

Hey all,
Down in SoCal we don't have as many beautiful old barns as some of the other states. This barn is quite unique. It is next to Lake Bucarelli which was named by Anza in honor of the Viceroy of Mexico City Antonio de Bucarelli. The locals call it
Mystic Lake because of the fluctuation due to small or large rainfall. The barn itself is generally under about 1-3 ft of water as you seen in the google pix. The water is close and the foto I took today, the water is not close at all. Enjoy

PLL

Hi, I found your picture of "Hemet Barn" on the http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/california/81752-now-gone-hemet-s-red-barn.html
I will give you some facts regarding that barn.
That barn/home belonged to Oliver Elliott. He was my ex wife's great uncle who had lived in the valley all or most of his life, I think he may have even gone to San Jacinto HS back in the early days. The Barn has nothing to do with Hemet. It is actually right on the border of Moreno (Now Moreno Valley), and San Jacinto. He had a mailing address of M.V., but a phone number of S.J. He had no public water supply, so he had a well drilled up the hill across the street where his sister lived (My Ex's grandma) until she passed. The home did and still does belong to My Ex's Uncle and Aunt. It is a family place where every Thanksgiving would be family, turkey, riding motorcycles, etc. The well's water wasn't drinkable, but worked for everything else. The line passes under the road, Gilman Springs, and over to the Barn. Oliver had a large water tank in the back of his truck that he would go and fill for consumption. Oliver was the nicest guy in the world. He loved to tell stories, whip out his badge from volunteer work with Riverside County Sheriff... He did live upstairs, and when Mystic Lake did fill up, from the San Jacinto River Bank breaching due to high flow, he would construct a walking bridge with 2x12 on stumps elevated above the water. The water never really hurt the barn other than the appearance and paint issues. That farm had a windmill, and I was searching the web for a pic of that. (I have it). It was a real working water pumping well used for cattle and crops I guess. Oliver used to let cattle and goat herders bring in the animals to eat the barley if it didn't grow to full maturity with that year's rainfall. Oliver has one daughter who grew up in San Jacinto and now lives in Colorado. The barn as shown in your picture, is after Oliver had passed away, and looters came and stole the windows and just about everything else out of it. The BLM was going to use it as a ranger station/office for the wildlife sanctuary that is right across mystic lake near the East Side of Lake Perris. There is a road that goes between Ramona Expressway, to the junction of Alessandro/Nason. It is a washboard dirt road, that is gated off now I think.. The sanctuary is on that road. Oliver not only dealt with flooding, he also dealt with the many car accidents on that road, some right in front of his barn because the road curves right there. Many of the curves had been straightened out ten or so years ago, just making it easier for people to drive faster... Oliver had funny signs he would rotate out on the fence. "Don't come in unless you can make it back to the fence in 7 seconds, the dog can do it in 8" or something like that, and one said "This property is protected by a pit bull with aids". He was a great guy.. The living quarters upstairs was just like you would imagine. Old appliances, Earthy smell, and a view of the valley and lake when it appears. It fills about every ten years, and slowly dries out, usually in about four or five years. There usually is fish in it, that have been washed down the mountain from flooding. I hope you enjoyed passing the barn when you did. I used to pass it every day to and from work, on my way home, in the morning (night shift), Oliver would be out walking somewhere, usually around Bridge St. when I was passing... A beep of the horn would get a wave and a smile.
R-

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I found your picture of "Hemet Barn" on the http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/california/81752-now-gone-hemet-s-red-barn.html
I will give you some facts regarding that barn.
That barn/home belonged to Oliver Elliott. He was my ex wife's great uncle who had lived in the valley all or most of his life, I think he may have even gone to San Jacinto HS back in the early days. The Barn has nothing to do with Hemet. It is actually right on the border of Moreno (Now Moreno Valley), and San Jacinto. He had a mailing address of M.V., but a phone number of S.J. He had no public water supply, so he had a well drilled up the hill across the street where his sister lived (My Ex's grandma) until she passed. The home did and still does belong to My Ex's Uncle and Aunt. It is a family place where every Thanksgiving would be family, turkey, riding motorcycles, etc. The well's water wasn't drinkable, but worked for everything else. The line passes under the road, Gilman Springs, and over to the Barn. Oliver had a large water tank in the back of his truck that he would go and fill for consumption. Oliver was the nicest guy in the world. He loved to tell stories, whip out his badge from volunteer work with Riverside County Sheriff... He did live upstairs, and when Mystic Lake did fill up, from the San Jacinto River Bank breaching due to high flow, he would construct a walking bridge with 2x12 on stumps elevated above the water. The water never really hurt the barn other than the appearance and paint issues. That farm had a windmill, and I was searching the web for a pic of that. (I have it). It was a real working water pumping well used for cattle and crops I guess. Oliver used to let cattle and goat herders bring in the animals to eat the barley if it didn't grow to full maturity with that year's rainfall. Oliver has one daughter who grew up in San Jacinto and now lives in Colorado. The barn as shown in your picture, is after Oliver had passed away, and looters came and stole the windows and just about everything else out of it. The BLM was going to use it as a ranger station/office for the wildlife sanctuary that is right across mystic lake near the East Side of Lake Perris. There is a road that goes between Ramona Expressway, to the junction of Alessandro/Nason. It is a washboard dirt road, that is gated off now I think.. The sanctuary is on that road. Oliver not only dealt with flooding, he also dealt with the many car accidents on that road, some right in front of his barn because the road curves right there. Many of the curves had been straightened out ten or so years ago, just making it easier for people to drive faster... Oliver had funny signs he would rotate out on the fence. "Don't come in unless you can make it back to the fence in 7 seconds, the dog can do it in 8" or something like that, and one said "This property is protected by a pit bull with aids". He was a great guy.. The living quarters upstairs was just like you would imagine. Old appliances, Earthy smell, and a view of the valley and lake when it appears. It fills about every ten years, and slowly dries out, usually in about four or five years. There usually is fish in it, that have been washed down the mountain from flooding. I hope you enjoyed passing the barn when you did. I used to pass it every day to and from work, on my way home, in the morning (night shift), Oliver would be out walking somewhere, usually around Bridge St. when I was passing... A beep of the horn would get a wave and a smile.
R-

That is a great story! I moved to the area last year and am enjoying the History of the area. Picked up MDing about 2 years ago and am having fun looking for old coins and artifacts. I donate the artifacts to the local Historical agencies or Local Historians and having a blast paying it forward!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions