The Woodsville massacre,

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Hello forum friends,

Here's one of the many true stories below on the 1850 Woodsville Massacre, While researching for another non-related settlement at the Fresno County Historical library a few years ago, I came across important information concerning the 1850 Woodville settlement we had been hunting off and on during this four month period. This story gave me much needed information and confirms why we found so many fired lead balls and the information below helped piece together the puzzle of the Indian massacre, Hope you can read the entire thread and maybe some will find it to be something one would read from a book or catch on a late night western movie.

Please note, In the story below I crossed out the distance of the building of an Fort attempt in 1851 and the story below is not written by me but a story I obtained from the Fresno County Historical library,

Plus, This will be the first of several stories I will be sharing from nearby settlements in the coming weeks ahead. I know allot of you from other forums may have already read a few of these several years ago but some of these other stories of settlements I will be posting soon have never been shared on any forum nor have I shared these with most local friends...Also, I have permission from the properties owners to enter these old settlements of long ago, Everything is with permission and no trespassing has occurred as long as friends are with me when we enter the property and anyone doing otherwise will be trespassing.

(Woodsville) No buildings are left on the surface, No Cabin, No Saloon/hotel, No Goad house and No corral and what's is left is buried underneath the surface, Some of the artifacts we recovered from here are pre-1850 coins and relics with some rare 1820's buttons and the oldest coin dating back to 1792.

Hope you enjoy the story.

The Woodville massacre,

The first attempt at permanent settlement in this vicinity was made by a man named John Wood on the south bank of the Kaweah River at a point east of the present city of Visalia on the property known subsequently and up to the present time as the Goad ranch.

All historians who have written of the early days state what Wood’s first name was never preserved, but Orlando Barton, in his manuscript entitled “EARLY History of Tulare County,” published in the Visalia Daily Times in 1905, gives his name as John Wood, citing as his authority John Hudgins, in whose train Wood came to California via the southern route in 1849.

Wood, with a party of stalwart men, different authorities giving the number as fourteen, fifteen and seventeen , supplied with saddle and pack animals, some arms and implements for building, came from the Mariposa late in the 1850, arriving on the banks of the Kaweah River about December 1st. There, near the south end of the bridge built by Dr. Thomas Payne and near the site later occupied by J.C. Goad residence, the first permanent habitation was built. This was a log cabin twelve feet wide and fourteen feet long, constructed of oak logs with a roof of split oak shakes. The winter was mild and pleasant and the work of the building and settling progressed without interruption until toward spring, when a band of Indians, under the leadership of Francisco, believed to be a renegade from the ranchos on the coast, who had collected a number of the Kaweahs into his following, ordered that the white men leave that section of the country within ten days giving them the alternative of death if they remained.

The settlers at first kept to their tasks in the field, but after consideration of the situation, decided to obey the ultimatum and depart. Most of them started to round up their horses which were grazing on the open ground south of the cabin. In the meantime the final hours of the ten-day interval, which was to end at noon, arrived, and the Indians, not disposed to mercy, swooped down upon the whites in the pasture, slaying several of the number, some accounts giving the number as fourteen. Two of the men, it is said, ran and jumped into the Kaweah and by keeping under water as much as possible managed to drift down the river to safety. Frank Boden, shot four times with arrows, was left for dead in the weeds a short distance from the cabin.

John Wood alone reached the cabin and sought refuge behind the stout door, which as provided with loop-holes. A number of the men had left their guns in the building, so that Wood had eight extra rifles at his disposal and supply of ammunition. The Indians had no firearms, only knives and their bows and arrows, the arrows tipped with a short piece of burnt chamiso.

Of the tragedy that ensued, Orlando Barton, member of one of the oldest pioneer families in Tulare County, has written as follows:

“It would take a large book to hold all the stories that have been told and retold of this memorable fight, but among the numerous accounts we can discern something of the truth. The ten days were out at noon, and the Indians immediately attacked the men on the open ground. Allowing an hour for them to run down and kill the men on the outside, it was 1 p.m. before they were ready to begin the attack on the cabin. A great number had assembled, All the fighting men in the Kaweah Delta were there. I know Indians who lived as far north as Drum Valley who took part in the fight, There was certainly seven or eight hundred, perhaps a thousand, Indians present.

“Returning from the pursuit of those on the outside, the Indians, taking advantage of the dry weeds, the oak trees and the river bank, surrounded the cabin and the fight of a thousand against one commenced. The willow arrows, which in derision at the time the whites called “sprouts,” could do no damage in the cabin. No demand was made on Wood to surrender. No parley was held, for the man who was to give his name to a county seat was in no yielding mood, and the cabin that was to become a courthouse was built for defense. The only chance for the Indians to kill Wood with arrows was to shoot through the loop-holes.

A wound from a single arrow, no matter were it struck, would not be fatal, and the Indians’ bows and arrows were totally ineffective at a distance of one hundred and fifty feet.

“The effective fire from the cabin showed the natives that the place could not be taken by siege without great loss. They therefore made an assault. From the confusion of accounts one can discern something of the tactics of Wood. He did not empty all his rifles at the beginning of the fight, but reserved some of them especially for an assault. We know that in more than one assault the natives were driven off. If the boy, Frank Boden “wounded with four arrows,” had succeeded in reaching the cabin the natives would never have been able to take it.

“Indians that I have talked to afterwards admitted a loss of thirteen killed, This would mean that twice that many were wounded, and that the fight lasted more than three hours. Wood loaded his guns with a ramrod, and appears to have been entirely cool and self-possessed, and through the long afternoon he sent a slow but effective fire into the surrounding circle of savages. It was late in the day when the natives, by making a final rush, succeeded in reaching the cabin.

“They laid Wood in the ground and commenced to cut off his skin, They began at his fingers and toes, and first skinned them. Then took the skin off his arms and legs, then off his back. No cry of pain, no plea for mercy was heard from the defender if the cabin. Silently he had fought, silently he endured the terrible ordeal.

“Even after I came to Woodville an Indian was shot for mimicking the facial contortions he (Wood) made while in the hands of his torturers. They did not pull the skin off in strips as I have heard some persons say lately. They took it off in one piece, and nailed it to a tree that stood until a few years ago in the corral close to the residence of J.C. Goad.

“After his skin was removed the Indians released Wood, He rose to his feet and walked about six rods, then fell on his face. How long he lived no one knows, The Indians instantly left. Boden could not come to him, The Indians did not burn or even plunder the cabin and soon night and silence reigned over the site of such a tragedy as is seldom witnessed even in frontier life.

“Some authorities say the next day, a party headed by a man named Lane arrived at Woodville. They buried the dead, and carrying Boden with them, took him, first to the San Joaquin River, then to Mariposa. C.R. Wingfield was in Mariposa at the time, and to him Boden gave a detailed account of the fight at Wood’s cabin. The ground where Wood had been held down was covered with blood. They traced his tracks (I am quoting C.R. Wingfield) from there to the place where he fell.”

Reports of the massacre were taken to Fort Miller, on the San Joaquin River, and immediately a detachment of troops under command of General Patten marched to the Four Creeks country and the scene of the tragedy. They found the log cabin undamaged and evidence of the valiant defense, The massacre and the butchery was still visible. Construction of a fort nearby from the cabin was begun, but the troops were recalled before the fort was completed.
.Thanks everyone for taking the time to read a bit of history from our area,
All the best, Paul (Ca)

Attachments

• 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001.JPG
    000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 2,441
  • 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001.jpg
    00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 827

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello OldCal,
THANK YOU sooooo much, These are the stories I just live for...Can you imagine going through that !!! OMG....If I go the doctor I still get freaky about a needle and this guy was skinned ALIVE!!!! Thank God I live in this time... The pixs really help to show what it was like. Is the old cabin still there ?? Could you post some pixs of the town or do you have any pixs from the historical society that shows what it really looked like back then ??? Again thankx.. I'm really looking forward to the next one...

PLL

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story Paul keep um coming. :thumbsup:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
thanx for typing that all out Paul. Interesting. The valley was very sparsely (if at all) populated before the gold rush (as opposed to closer to the coast). So to sleuth out finds from that period in your area is quite a feat! Congratz.

1 reale (or "reale-era") coin from your area is worth more from a hand-ful from my part of CA, from a strictly skill-level to research and find. So you get "2 points" for each of yours, haha :P :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Old California

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Thanks PLL, Battery and Tom,

PLL and Battery, I've read several different stories on the Woodsville massacre. Not too much variance between the stories all relating to each other with minor variances.

The settlement is no longer here and no pictures/drawings of the site ever survived, All that remains of the famous town is buried underneath the soil and the only visual finds on the surface are shards of china. Allot of square nails lace the ground where the Cabin once stood, Would you believe I often found myself digging up the square nail signals because even these old nails are such a rare find when considering they are from the oldest Whites man settlement in the Southern San Joaquin valley floor.

Later around 1860-70's, A house (Goad house) was built on top of the Cabin site. I do have a picture of a painting of this house, The Goad family hired a famous artist to complete a painting of the Goad house.

Tom, You are right the valley was sparsely populated, Other than the Indians living here the valley was a tough place to live. Most of the pre-gold rush settlers lived up in the mountains or lower foot hills, The lower ground just weren't areas one would start a farm or settlement. Even Woodsville area had it's share of problems due to the swampy terrain making travel very difficult, In fact the Fremont trail which goes through Woodsville had two different routes for different times of the year because the terrain for about a 35-40 mile stretch would flood, A second route/trail would take them further away adding more miles to the trip but was necessary. Which I will share later on another post and post pictures of the both trails.

Denny deserves credit for the reale :thumbsup: He bagged the reale and the 1792 coin was a large French copper coin I found about 30-40 yards from the reale. My oldest American coin from here was the 1835 Bust 1/2 dime, And a beauty indeed :)

Thanks again gang,
Paul (Ca)

BerntOut

Jan 12, 2010
South West USA
Detector(s) used
Deus, BlissTool V3, CTX, Vallon VCM1, ......forgot the others!
Thanks for the posting...even though it is from years ago.
It all has come together Paul. Thanks!

OP
OP
Old California

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Hello Brent,

Allot of history here at this Woodville site, have more to share at a later date once I put together pics and such. Plus, Enjoyed both yours and Denny's fellowship we'll have to meet again soon.

Take care,
Paul (Ca)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread