1850s adobe - southern CA

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Sometimes just going for a hike and finding an old site is the main fun and challenge. I had been researching this adobe site in southern CA for some time and finally located it yesterday. I had hiked this area once before, but ended up missing the adobe by three-tenths of a mile. There was a tremendous amount of bushwhacking, poison oak dodging, and stream crossing involved. I actually carried a pair of shears with me and dismantled my detector so it would fit in my backpack. The photos will make you realize how easy it would be to miss. It was built in the 1850s and once had several rooms, a vineyard, and fruit trees. Wine and meals were sold out of the site to travelers. There must be a seated dime or two somewhere near the site! The soil here is quite loamy, and as a result, metal objects seem to have sunk quickly and deeply. I knew I was in trouble when I dug a couple of Pepsi screw caps from 10 inches. Just once, I would like to find a site absent of contemporary metallic trash. There were plenty of signs of contemporary visits to the site, so it may have already been detected. I haven’t taken photos of my finds yet, but I found numerous square nails, a couple of clothing rivets, what looks like part of a three-ringer bullet, and some clothing fasteners. The square nails were from the adobe itself, as this was apparently a transitional structure, showing elements of both Mexican and American period architecture. There were once wooden planks on the outside walls, used as siding. I spent about three hours here and will venture back at some point, with long sleeves next time! Thanks for looking. - Jim

Attachments

• Adobe Kinzli One.JPG
    Adobe Kinzli One.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 420
  • Adobe Kinzli Two.JPG
    Adobe Kinzli Two.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 415
  • Adobe Kinzli Three.JPG
    Adobe Kinzli Three.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 430
  • Adobe Kinzli Four.JPG
    Adobe Kinzli Four.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 418

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting keep checking the area ...aa

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
Ziphius could you post some pixs of the rivets ?? I would like to see if they look like some others that I have seen. ( just for comprision ). If you can then I thank you in advance...

PLL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread