ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a 1837 banque de peuple un sou agiculture & commerce token in junk coin bin

its quite a bit worn but i was able to ID it still. --funny the things you find in a american coin shops 3 for $1 "junk bin" -- my 2 other coins were a 1826 british half penny (again quite worn) and a very nice little 1950 mexico 1 peso coin ( that was 30% silver ) think they screwed up on that one big time as it has 4 grams of silver in it. about 3 - 4 in silver value.

Likely Guy

Re: a 1837 banque de peuple un sou agiculture & commerce token in junk coin bin

I assume that the "banque de peuple un sou agiculture & commerce" was a sort of farmer's co-operative of the day. We still have the odd 'Co-op' store here in western Canada, in the U.S. I guess, not so much.

The peso was a bonus! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

actually 4 banks were given the "right" to mint coinage due to the serious shortage of small change type money --banque de pueple (bank of the people ) was a french "lower canada" montreal bank one sou was like a half penny

"agriculture & commerance" * was the "motto'-- since the coinage was made to assist folks conduct trade in agriculture & commerance

Likely Guy

ivan salis said:
actually 4 banks were given the "right" to mint coinage due to the serious shortage of small change type money --banque de pueple (bank of the people ) was a french "lower canada" montreal bank one sou was like a half penny

"agriculture & commerance" * was the "motto'-- since the coinage was made to assist folks conduct trade in agriculture & commerance

Interesting. I also heard that in the 1700's they were so strapped for cash that they used playing cards for currency.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0006342

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread