Mystery Civilization

Phil_The_Rodent

May 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

Last year as I was perusing South Ontario area history, I found something that might be interesting to explore.

In the Township of the Rear of Yonge, County of Leeds, about one mile south of the Village of Farmersville, is the remains of an antique causeway. It emerges distinctly in the swamp opposite the residence of John Wiltse, Esq., and runs south-west in the direction of Charleston Lake, crossing the highway but a little distance from the stream flowing into Mud Lake. The causeway was evidently intended for a road, being perfectly straight; and, although the fields through which it passes have been under cultivation for a number of years, yet its course is easily traced, being raised about one foot above the surrounding land, and in many places paved with round stones in a way that would have done credit to the ancient builders of military highways, viz., the Romans. In the swamp, the causeway has growing upon it at the present time elm trees between two and three feet in diameter. When the township was first settled by Benoni Wiltse and Wm. Parish, they questioned the Indians as to the origin of the structure, but could obtain no satisfactory answer. In its construction considerable engineering skill was displayed, and a vast amount of labor expended, it being graded sufficiently well for a railway. It may have been the line of communication between two important centres of population, and is probably the vestage of a proud and once powerful race, whose unwritten history may never be fully revealed.

This is from:
History of Leeds & Grenville, Thad W. H. Leavitt, 1879
Recorder Press, Brockville
Page 3
Found here:
History of Leeds and Grenville Ontario, : from 1749 to 1879, with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers

Farmerville is the former name of Athens (established in 1792), and I located the estate of John Wiltse, Esq. just north of Whiste Lake, near the bend in Chaterson Road. So, I assume the swamp being referenced is that surrounding Whitse Lake.

Calling this up on google maps, I do see a line emerging from the swamp that may or may not be the causeway, headed in the direction of Charleston Lake. If you follow the eastern road to the bend, then about half a km north of this there is a line that seems to run parallel to the road, but through the forest. Not saying that line is the causeway, but, there's a story that might be worth investigating.

GordonGrey

May 11, 2013
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strangly I can tell you that your right ,, My familyuse to live in Athens and I,ve drove on the trail your writing about when out 4x4ing ,,, at the time thought it was a uninproved road but it seemed to go no where! May have to take a better look .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions