Lets talk about finding gold in Ontario for a minute...

doodman

Greenie
May 12, 2007
Ok so I've experienced it in BC, and it seems to be pretty straight forward. Pan a creek, if you see colors, keep panning.

What about Ontario? I keep reading stories of prospectors and the northern Ontario gold rushes, but I don't understand. Did they pan creeks just like in the mountains of western Canada? There has to be more to prospecting Ontario than that. And what about silver and copper? Where did they begin? What to look for?

Any info is appreciated. Any books specific to Ontario rock hounding etc?

Sep 29, 2007
Hey well I know in my neck of the woods the town was made from gold mines and how they found gold was it was visible in the surface rock I dont hear to much about panning here But ya never know maybe I should try ;D

marjo

Oct 10, 2006

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
How about around ..Noelville or sudbury in the French river or around 18 mile island area could i pan in that area and find any amount of gold at all even if it was small flakes ?? ??? ??? ==Jim==

arob

Nov 27, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The very best place to prospect for gold in Ontario is the green belt quartz that streaks through the islands and wilderness all around the Lake of the Woods south of Kenora Ontario. There is still lots of gold in these parts and recreational prospectors are always turning up with large nuggets or gold and quartz.

there is an excellent story set in the Sultana gold mine on the internet in a few places called 'Haunted Gold Mine on Lake of the Woods' or something like that - do a search. Its worth reading!

Northener0

Greenie
Mar 6, 2011
it's not illegal in ontario

Gold Panning

Recreational panning is considered mineral collecting. It can be done anywhere mineral collecting is allowed. See mineral collecting.

from the mineral exploration and mining site

dash54

Mar 30, 2009
Northern Ontario
Detector(s) used
White
Primary Interest:
Other
I live near Kenora, and spend all my spare time cruising the 65,000 miles of shoreline looking for antiquities and artifacts. I have been lucky on a few occasions, but what blows me away is how many abandoned gold mines I come across. There was a huge gold rush here from the 1880's thru till the crash of wall street in 1929. The Kenora gold rush was overshadowed by the Yukon and California rush. As we all know, thousands of people through the years have flogged those to death, but nobody seems to have noticed this diamond in the rough. Ghost town lots have mostly been bought up by wealthy Winnipeg cottagers and turned into million dollar recreational properties. The history is slowly disappearing, being lost to the advances of man. But... the old gold mines mostly remain intact. And at 1800 dollars an ounce, you'd think the owners of the various claims would start re-working them,. I'm told that since the Lake of the Woods is the source for Winnipeg's drinking water, the powers that be won't allow it. But when they were throwing away 5-ounce to the ton ore, in order to find the vein, which in some cases was as high as 12-ounce to the ton ore. Whew! lots of potential laying out there...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
dash54 said:
I live near Kenora, and spend all my spare time cruising the 65,000 miles of shoreline looking for antiquities and artifacts. I have been lucky on a few occasions, but what blows me away is how many abandoned gold mines I come across. There was a huge gold rush here from the 1880's thru till the crash of wall street in 1929. The Kenora gold rush was overshadowed by the Yukon and California rush. As we all know, thousands of people through the years have flogged those to death, but nobody seems to have noticed this diamond in the rough. Ghost town lots have mostly been bought up by wealthy Winnipeg cottagers and turned into million dollar recreational properties. The history is slowly disappearing, being lost to the advances of man. But... the old gold mines mostly remain intact. And at 1800 dollars an ounce, you'd think the owners of the various claims would start re-working them,. I'm told that since the Lake of the Woods is the source for Winnipeg's drinking water, the powers that be won't allow it. But when they were throwing away 5-ounce to the ton ore, in order to find the vein, which in some cases was as high as 12-ounce to the ton ore. Whew! lots of potential laying out there...
Like i said i get up around Sudbury & Noleville once a year.............. So i might have to try to get to Kenora next summer and check it out............ That sure is a ways for me........ It takes me 9 or 10 hours to get to Sudbury from my place in Ohio..........

alamarche

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm originally from Noelville and now live in Sudbury - I've heard of gold being found in the region, but in what quantity I have no idea. I'm also thinking Chelmsford, Dowling, Levack / Onaping.... lots of nice little creeks up there....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread