brampton ontario laws

lexxone1

Feb 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello,,,,,,,,,,,,everyone
i a m a new person here and would like to know what the laws in my city would be ( brampton , ontario)
i was told that i could use a detector anywhere but when the detector finds something I CAN NOT RETREIVE IT.
the item must remain in the ground,,,,,,,,,,,does anyone have experience in hunting in brampton and where i can go legally.

this was told to me by a peel police officer,,,,,,he claims i can not go to public places like school grounds parks etc
without permission from the city,,,,,,,,,which is almost impossible to get!

is this true,,,,,if metal detection is not allowed then how is one to enjoy the hobby,,,,,,,,,,,I spent $800+ on a detector
and now i cant use it,,,,,,,,,,,,,

have a nice week......

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Doesn’t sound right to me. I live in Manitoba and I’m allowed to detect anywhere but private property. I’ve never asked for permission to hunt in parks or school grounds. School grounds are public property and the public pays taxes for those schools so the public should be allowed to use the grounds for recreational activities as well as metal detecting.

LoyalistDigger

Dec 14, 2015
Strathcona County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My theory and your mileage may vary.

If it's public property (school/park) I consider it mine seeing as I paid for it and will hunt it at will. Cemeteries are strictly off limits. Private property can only be hunted with land owner permission. While a long shot due to your location, there may be Crown Land within driving distance of you.

And I never, ever ask some low level union bureaucrat or cop if I can do anything. Read your municipality bylaws for any metal detecting restrictions.

This is still somewhat of a free country so have at it!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.....i was told that i could use a detector anywhere but when the detector finds something I CAN NOT RETREIVE IT.
the item must remain in the ground..... this was told to me by a peel police officer,,,,,,he claims i can not go to public places like school grounds parks etc without permission from the city.....

lexxone1 : Welcome to the "No one cared till you asked" club. Barring obvious historic sensitive monuments ....... next time ...... just go. If you go asking bored pencil pushers, that only evokes images of geeks with shovels, who will be inclined to give the "safe answer".

I've seen this happen before, where various places have NEVER had an issue. But then some newbie (bless their little hearts) takes it upon themselves to go into city or county hall asking questions. They get told odd stuff like "yes but you can't dig". Or "yes but everything you find belongs to the city". Or "No because it might harm the earthworms". Blah blah blah.

Next time, employ the Nike commercial jingle.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The only city in Ontario I am aware of that has a by-law forbidding detecting in public parks or on town land is London, ON. :BangHead:

This was put into effect in the spring of 2018.

Dave

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... This was put into effect in the spring of 2018....

I know that if you ASKED those powers-that-be: "But why ?", they would say "because of holes". Or "because of cultural heritage". Right ? Those are the "go-to" reasons . But the bigger question is: How did it get on someone's radar, as something to dream up a law about, IN THE FIRST PLACE ?

Care to take a guess ?

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Years ago this site had topics about wearing hard hats and vests and carry a can of orange spray paint! They will believe your on official city business. Happy Hunting!

LoyalistDigger

Dec 14, 2015
Strathcona County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They will believe your on official city business.!

How true!!! Most of the time I will wear a very bright hi-vis orange t-shirt just to help me stand out and let others see me. No camo for this kid.

Anyway, I was swinging at a fairgrounds and the maint staff were cutting the grass. One fella was slowly working towards me and finally stopped in the shade of a large tree and shut his machine down. Always interested in picking the minds of the locals, I removed my headphones and sashayed over and we talked about it being a nice day etc etc. Finally, he asks if I had found the markers yet? After I told him I was just looking for coins he says he thought I was the guy looking for the markers for the vendors stalls for the upcoming fair. We had a good laugh over that one.

I asked him if the location we were in was part of the orginal fair ground and he said nope....that was over there in the big grass field now used for parking. I shook his hand, gathered up my stuff and proceeded to recover some old silvers from that field.

zombie

Aug 30, 2016
Guelph, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Bounty Hunter DISCOVERY 1100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Come on over to Guelph sometime, apparently you need a permit here.
We'll be anarchists and wreck havoc on the locals!

Yard Waste

Dec 16, 2013
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett AT Pro International, Garrett Euro Ace.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only city in Ontario I am aware of that has a by-law forbidding detecting in public parks or on town land is London, ON. :BangHead:

This was put into effect in the spring of 2018.

Dave

I believe Mississauga has a similar By-law.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread