Adding a special pony to the corral

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heard of a guy who had been stashing mustangs, T-Birds and Caddys for many years and had even seen a few. The collector passed away many years back and his family has started selling off his collection. I heard he had two "parts cars" that he(one of the collectors sons) wanted $1,000 each for I thought I'd check out. One was rough but the other was well worth the money. While checking out the parts cars, both 1966 coupes, I saw what looked like a pretty nice 1965 convertible covered in years of dust. I asked the son about the convertible and he said they wanted $2,000 for it. Of course not seeing any rust and that it was a 289 V8 I said sold! After feeling I had just made the buy of a lifetime I get a call about an hour later telling me he talked to his sister and was told it was already sold. I thought crap, and told him if the sell falls through I'd still be interested. And just testing I told him I'd be willing to give $4,000.

Well I called to talk more about the $1,000 66 coupe and started by asking if they had thought any about my offer. He said yes we'll take $4,000 for the convertible. Again I said sold. I round up the money and call him to say I've got the $4,000 and I'm ready to buy when can you meet me there? He says he works 12 hour shifts and won't have a day off until Thursday. He said he would try and find some other family member to meet me if possible, but it could be Thursday. I'm really excited because I've owned a lot of mustangs but I've been looking for this car for many years. My first car was a 1964 1/2 Poppy Red mustang convertible with a 4 speed and a 289 HiPo.

I had taken some pictures of the dust covered beauty so I thought I'd look them over more closely. Everything looked really good. No rust and the paint looked real nice. It wasn't until I enlarged one of interiorriro pictures I saw the clutch pedal. Hot dog it was a manual with a full console. Someone at a mustang forum really caught me by surprise when he looked at the pictures and posted that "it is not a 1965 but a 1964 1/2" I enlarged spicturesresa and sure enough. It has a generator and notalternatorator, brake switch on the master cylinder, battery vents in the front radiator support and a beveled headliextensiontion. Sure enough it was a 1964 1/2.

So here I am patiently waiting, and biting my nails, waiting till I can go pick up my special pony.

Here are the pictures as I found it.

1965vert1.jpg

1965vert2.jpg

1965vert3.jpg

1965vert5.jpg

1965vert7.jpg

1965vert6.jpg

OP
OP
Digger

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's ALIVE!

Got my pony home and after replacing all fluids, plug wires, cap, rotor, points and plugs she fired right up. The original 260 V8 sounds pretty darn good. I took her for a short drive just to make sure everything worked. Brakes need attention for sure. New parts have started rolling in. Got the new seat covers, carpet and convertible top(white) in yesterday. Here she is all cleaned up.

64-hubs-5.jpg

64-hubs-6.jpg

64-hubs-8.jpg

64-5-out7.jpg

OP
OP
Digger

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the new interior started. New carpet, seat covers and kick panels. Still waiting for some convertible top parts to put on the new one. Here is some more resent pictures. It is running and drivable now.

64-newext1.jpg

64-newext3.jpg

64-newint7.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions