SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SgtSki's Virtual Car Show #3: Steam & Electric Vehicles

OK, here's another group of cars that got down the road propelled by something other than an internal combustion engine. Something to think about in this day and age when gasoline costs what it does. Electric propulsion is something that is very seriously being worked on again and some very efficient designs are emerging, like the Tesla Roadster. But what about steam? While they were never very efficient with regard to operating range, you could make a vehicle propelled by heating up water, which jst becomes water again when the steam is exhausted. If you heated the boiler with methane, then you have a heating means that is a renewable resource. You can also use methane to power an internal combustion engine, and Sweden is experimenting with this right now with Taxicabs.

Anyway, here's some steam & electric vehicles from way back when.:

1896 Whitney.jpg
1896 Whitney Steam Runabout

1899 Locomobile Steam Runabout.jpg
1899 Locomobile Steam Runabout

1902 Studebaker Electric Victoria Phaeton.jpg
Studebaker Electric Victoria Phaeton

1903 Stanley Model B 2.jpg
1903 Stanley Model B

1907 Studebaker Electric Runabout.jpg
1907 Studebaker Electric Runabout

1908 White Model K.jpg
1908 White Model K Steamer

1909 Baker Electric Jay Leno.jpg
1909 Baker Electric Brougham (owned by Jay Leno)

1910 Stanley Model 63.jpg
1910 Stanley Model 63 Touring Car

1914 Detroit Electric Gentlemen\'s Brougham.jpg
1914 Detroit Electric Gentlemen's Brougham. Electric cars generally had a wider appeal to women due to their being clean, quiet, and simple to operate. Detroit Electric introduced the "Gentlemen's" line of electric autos in an attempt to expand their customer base.

1914 Detroit Electric Gentlemen\'s Roadster.jpg
1914 Detroit Electric Gentlemen's Roadster

1916 Detroit Electric Brougham 60 98 S.jpg
Detroit Electric Model 60-98S Brougham

1924 Doble Steamer.jpg
1924 Doble Steamer. This is an extremely rare vehicle. It represents the last hurrah for steam-powered cars. The boiler was very advanced and was lit by turning the key instead of having to pre-heat a vaporizer tube for the fuel and then manually lighting the burner,on older steam cars. A Doble could have it's boiler up to operating pressure in about 90 seconds, as opposed to 40-45 minutes on the old Stanley's.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this batch of cars. I don't know what I'm going to put together next.

HH,
SgtSki

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Re: SgtSki's Virtual Car Show #3: Steam & Electric Vehicles

Great bunch of cars. Looks like Detroit should look in the past for ideas. Lot of good ideas in the old cars (steam powered for one). I don't know if steam powered automobiles could compete with gas, but it would be interesting to find out how close they come. My favorite was the 1924 Doble Steamer. Looks like a very classy car. Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
SgtSki in MI

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: SgtSki's Virtual Car Show #3: Steam & Electric Vehicles

RON (PA) said:
Great bunch of cars. Looks like Detroit should look in the past for ideas. Lot of good ideas in the old cars (steam powered for one). I don't know if steam powered automobiles could compete with gas, but it would be interesting to find out how close they come. My favorite was the 1924 Doble Steamer. Looks like a very classy car. Thanks for posting.

In terms of operating range, steamers really can't compete with gasoling engines at least not back then. Hard telling what could be engineered nowadays. If I was in charge of the engineering department of an automaker, I'd haul a '27 Model T into the room and say, "Here, this is a 1927 Ford Model T. It cost $285.00 when it was built and got 40 miles per gallon.....NOW GET TO WORK!!!"

In 1965 a mainframe computer cost a couple million bucks and took up a whole room, and ran at 64 Kilohertz . A cheap laptop nowadays has hundreds of times the computing power, memory, and display capability and costs 500 bucks for a run-of-the-mill one. If you applied the same price vs technology developmental timeline to the Auto Industry, a car SHOULD cost 25 dollars and get 600 miles to a thimbleful of gas. Crazy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread