Pig Effigy Mortar and Pestle - Mexican?

HIMHAM

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe someone can enlighten me to the approximate era and value of this piece. I have had several people look at this in the last few days. Everyone says it is definitely very old. I bought this at sale that had alot of alleged precolumbian artifacts and native american arrow heads ( I know this peice itself is probably not Pre Columbian). This was there also with the items marked "pre-columbian". I am pretty sure it is mexican and I know that similar stuff can still be bought today but I had two native american artifact collectors actually put it in their hands and said it is surley 2 -300 years old. I found this site and figured it would be the best place to figure it out.

DSC_1019.JPG DSC_1022.JPG DSC_1024.JPG DSC_1026.JPG

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello HIMHAM,

Welcome to Tnet. I also think this is a modern piece. I mean no disrespect, but the last time I saw one like it, it was filled with guacamole.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right it's not pre-Columbian. And it is a Mexican thing. Conquistadors brought pigs over to the Americas after Colombus, and natives did take note of those. These are molcajetes, used for grinding, kinda like a mortar and pestle. My wife has one that looks prehistoric but it was probably made about 10 years ago and I paid 10 bucks for it. You can find ones just like yours that are modern made and get one for around 30 bucks. It would depend a lot on the archeaological context in which it was found. I would almost believe that the molcajetes with the legs were a 19th early 20th century invention. Before that they would just use grinding basins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread