Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These were purchased by my family back in the mid-80's at an estate auction. It was definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity for us. I got a couple of shipwreck items as well, but these were among many, many Pre-Columbian artifacts that were available. The previous owner was a well known collector, and he had some of everything...It was seriously like going to an auction at the Smithsonian! The things that were no-sales would have outfitted a decent museum...a couple of things that come to mind were about a 5 foot tall female effigy that was in a crate, but had a fresh break on one of the legs...no sale at a $500 reserve, if I recall correctly...and a Ringling Bros. horse-drawn wagon...with iron bars on each side, and fully painted, and decorated...just too big, and no takers at any price...some other stuff too....I wish I could go back in time with some money and have a re-do now that I have a better perception of what is rare and valuable....Anyway...here are a few pictures of the carvings and pottery.

There was also a box of pot shards, plus a wooden trough, about 3 foot long, that was conserved, and has the form of a dugout canoe, but thicker at the bottom, and not nearly wide enough...so not sure what it was used for....I don't have pics of those...The wooden object is buried in a closet...

Pottery:

Artifacts 001.JPG

Artifacts 003.JPG

The old "phallic symbol with a baby turtle on it" pot leg trick:

Artifacts 004.JPG

Artifacts 005.JPG

Artifacts 006.JPG

Artifacts 007.JPG

Hardstone carving and bowls...listed in the auction catalog as "jade" but probably not....
Artifacts 008.JPG

Artifacts 009.JPG

Artifacts 010.JPG

Artifacts 016.JPG

Artifacts 012.JPG

Artifacts 013.JPG

Volcanic looking rock carvings:

Artifacts 017.JPG

Artifacts 018.JPG

Artifacts 019.JPG

Artifacts 020.JPG

Artifacts 024.JPG

Artifacts 025.JPG

Artifacts 026.JPG

Artifacts 027.JPG

Artifacts 029.JPG

Artifacts 030.JPG

Artifacts 032.JPG

Artifacts 033.JPG

Artifacts 034.JPG

Artifacts 035.JPG

Artifacts 036.JPG

Supposedly a mano stone:

Artifacts 037.JPG

Not sure of this one...It's too symmetric for a grinding stone, so maybe a weapon or a ceremonial piece:

Artifacts 002.JPG

Artifacts 003.JPG

Artifacts 001.JPG

Some random things from other auctions and sales, etc....

Artifacts 004.JPG

Artifacts 005.JPG

Artifacts 006.JPG

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#31 is most likely a type of Pestle kinda like a roller pestle. The rest I have no clue due to the fact I have no knowledge of the area they come from. Nice collection, rock

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the items look to be Tianio style items and the items that are said to be Jade could be a type of jadite, it is very common in Haiti and Costa Rica. The long item would make a great skull breaker. Very nice stuff:notworthy:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
The pestle probably went to a specific type of metate found in Costa Rica. Google Costa Rican Metate and you'll see the ceremonial ones. Like fine china, they were intended for use, but probably not daily use by average folk.

Overall it looks like a lot of great pieces from mostly the northern part of the country, but you have some classic Nicoyan or Pacific Coast items, as well as some Atlantic coast items. It fits well with the description of the original collector and many of the older Pre-Colombian collections I've seen over the years.

Wealthy families (Lilly, Peabody, Heye, etc.) used to hire archaeologists to go build collections for them, and the archaeologists have to take time to sail down to a specific country, work with locals, and spend several weeks out in the field collecting pieces. Very much an Indiana Jones style expedition. The families would typically front a small amount of money to get the expedition going, and the have first choice to buy on everything that came back. If they paid upfront, the diggers wouldn't have as much incentive to go find untouched sites. The archaeologists would usually have rights to collect and sell misc. pieces that didn't fit the quality that the original collector charged them with collecting. In this case they probably wanted gold, jade, the ceremonial metates, and fine examples of Nicoyan pottery (the upper most piece in the first picture, only in complete condition.)

The last picture, the three heads are probably from Mexico.

The wooden trough you describe as canoe like sounds like a dough bowl. If it's ancient, it's a rare find, but it could just be historic or antique since they have been used non-stop from thousands of years ago through today in many countries. Most cultures that use these large metates also have wooden troughs or squared bowls that are used to hold the ground up corn. One of the big differences between Mexico and Central America and the US was how they processed corn. Our groups frequently dried it out, ground it up and made breads with the flour, and the metates and pestles are different. Most of the groups in Mesoamerica dried the corn, and then cooked it first with lime, and then ground while wet. It made a soupy dough, which was then cooked.

Probably too much information, but here is a link on how they processed corn. This was really the secret to large population densities in Mexico and other areas vs what we have in the US. Cahokia and Etowah probably peaked at population because they couldn't grow enough food. Many sites in Mexico and South had large populations in smaller areas. Corn processed like this provides far more calories and nutrients in a digestible form, and an equal sized field can support far more people. What happens when you eat regular corn? Your body simply can't process it, and it passes through as waste.

Nixtamalization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jon Phillips

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys!!

I'll dig out the wooden piece at some point and take some pics.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got to love it when joshuaream chimes in

manzanita

Greenie
Aug 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pottery and effigies! The two rocks are a type of pestle. The first is used vertically in a mortar while the second us used on its side in a metate! Great stuff!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread