Who do ya think made these? Found both in same area after I found the foot shaped roc

dwstevidsworld

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
45ac8326671cbab130e9ea17ca15a1d2.jpg
d23f038206f6d4068f46155a83376b6f.jpg
5a8080fea8e4791af1372123ee7924d0.jpg
77c61503554d018de607c05eca64ebdf.jpg
bb17032520d7be98c883c1b56f3c6b6c.jpg
92b4f863695f327c5f4156aa7c258467.jpg

Sent from my RCT6773W22 using Tapatalk

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry just natural rock. Are you in Central America?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dwstevidsworld

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they natural what would be the age. And also how did cut marks get on it on the top side . how did I find just those where there is not limestone in the area.. I will have to investigate more bout there area it was found,history of this part of Virginia's blue ridge mountains.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, im in the blue ridge mountains of Virginia.

I asked because you posted your thread in our "Central and South America" Artifact forum before I moved it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Limestone is a very easy stone for erosion marks and is a soft stone when you look at the hardness number on the scale. Mother nature can make some good looking artifacts, but when you compare them to a known artifact you will see the difference . How that stone got where you found it is anyone's guess. My guess is that there is a layer of limestone some where close, that just does not show itself due to ground cover, dirt and so on. HH

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it sure does look like Fred Flintstones pulaski...but it is just a piece of limestone

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dwstevidsworld

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for you alls answers. If ya. Know anyone looking for s foot piece let me know.

Upvote 0

uzd

Feb 24, 2015
Cowtown
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the sole smooth w/less patina....lighter colored...striated lengthwise? If you suspect you've found an ancient tool your hands are your best tool to validate it. If it was to hammer,peck,chop or abrade your hand/s will fit... consider southpaws too

From Ft.Worth S.A. a5.jpg a3.jpg a4.jpg

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mother Nature made them, sorry but what you have is just a rock, not an artifact.

Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"if you suspect you've found an ancient tool your hands are your best tool to validate it. If it was to hammer,peck,chop or abrade your hand/s will fit... consider southpaws too"

Actually, this is not the case at all, and experienced collectors understand this without saying. The best tool to validate are your eyes. And the best clue to validate are whether or not the rock shows it has been worked into shape by man. Be it by knapping, in the case of a flaked artifact, or be it by pecking and grinding, in the case of other artifacts, for instance a ground axe. Fitting the hand is not a means of validating if something is an artifact. Yet, time and again, and this is especially the case when individuals have little experience with actual artifacts, we hear things like "it fits the hand perfectly." Most times, while that may be a fact, it is also completely beside the point. Many rocks fashioned by nature may "fit the hand." It does not make them artifacts at all, and our hands are not the tools we use to separate artifact from geofact. That is simply not at all true. Your eyes and your experience recognizing human alteration are used to distinguish artifact and geofact.

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
...and any artifact (like a hammer stone or something made for striking) needs to show wear too. Don't get me started on all the "effigies" you can see in a stone...they are natural too.

Upvote 0

Rockhunter1620

Feb 1, 2012
S.E. Mi.
Detector(s) used
F-75 S.E.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
TH is correct, no hand carved or flint knapped, just water-worn cobbles. Put a couple drops of hydrochloric or muriatic acid on it, if it fizzes it's limestone, if not, prolly just a sedimentary sandstone or conglomerate.

RH

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the sole smooth w/less patina....lighter colored...striated lengthwise? If you suspect you've found an ancient tool your hands are your best tool to validate it. If it was to hammer,peck,chop or abrade your hand/s will fit... consider southpaws too

From Ft.Worth S.A. View attachment 1262674 View attachment 1262675 View attachment 1262676

Just because something "fits in the hand" doesn't make it an artifact. Just about anything you pick up will fit your hand if you turn it enough. That's the way hands were designed. Your stone and every other stone on this thread is a natural rock formed by natural erosion and not by the hand of man.

Upvote 0

uzd

Feb 24, 2015
Cowtown
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a33.jpg a22.jpg a2.jpg IMG_0633.JPG

These two pieces were recovered from the Fredricsberg a limestone formation where my ranch is located. The mudstone is highly unusual, coupled with the set of two, percussion blows and grinding to facilitate a worked edge for scraping meets the requisites for an artifact regardless it's tool implications. On a 1080 big screen the arrows show an edge formed by flake removal a conical and rectangular depression formed by abrasion. Several burials, two middens are still evident and remain unmolested to this day. A Butterfield stage line stop and Patrons of Husbandry Hall (Grangers) was once part of the landscape and lithic artifacts abound. You are welcome to visit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread