Any suggestion about these findings?

BrazilianExplorer

Jan 31, 2016
Brasil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found several interesting artifacts, fragments and/or rocks in South America - Brazil - Goyaz State that I would like to have addtional information. They seem one stone biface "knife" tool (blade) with a plane base (basalt? black obsidian?); one discoidal limestone/sandstone tool; one ancient ceramic fragment; and one spherical concrection. What do you think about these artifacts? May you help me with comments? Thanks in advance! Fig1.jpg Fig2.jpg Fig3.jpg Fig4.jpg Fig5.jpg Fig6.jpg Fig7.jpg Fig8.jpg Fig9.jpg Fig10.jpg Fig11.jpg Fig12.jpg Fig13.jpg

Last edited:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
BrazilianExplorer,

Nice finds. The black piece does look like a section of a knife, nice piece. I've seen a lot of black chert like that in Bolivia & Paraguay, not sure if it's the same material but it seems to be common.

Joshua

OP
OP
B

BrazilianExplorer

Jan 31, 2016
Brasil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Joshua,
Thank you very much! Your comments are welcome! I really think that the black artifact is a knife or even a fragment (it does not seem to be fracture by any recent process). Do you have any suggestion about the age of such type of artifacts in other south american countries like those you have cited? I`m not sure about the material of it yet...

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no idea what these might be, but they sure are interesting pieces!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some really cool finds

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have some nice artifacts.
To properly date things, it takes local knowledge. But I'm going to give it my best guess.
From what I can see from the picture, the black piece looks fairly well worked with a good patina. If I found it here, I would date at 5000+ years.
As far as the pottery shard, pottery didn't show up there, until about 7500 years ago.
You can date pottery by its make up.
Here's a wiki on pottery:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceramics_of_indigenous_peoples_of_the_Americas

Also a source of info are your local museums. One that has local artifacts. You can see similar artifacts, usually dated and get an idea of what you have.
I can't help you on the other pieces. Ain't got no idea.
But I can tell they're most likely as old as the others.

OP
OP
B

BrazilianExplorer

Jan 31, 2016
Brasil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your comments! I found several other very interesting artifacts in addition to some incredible rock paintings.

OP
OP
B

BrazilianExplorer

Jan 31, 2016
Brasil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are some of the rock paintings. Do you have some idea about some possible origin and meaning?

Rock paitings.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions