deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im wondering how often musket balls were used during the war. Ive read of them being used but thats all.
Today I found what appears to be a musket ball at a known CW site. Its definitely lead.
It also appears to have a hole in it? There also seems to be some very black, hard substance existing in this hole. I havent cleaned the hole out to see if it goes to the core of the ball as I wanted to preserve the black stuff till I figure out what it is.
I have chipped out some of it as you can tell and it actually does smell like powder, if thats possible at all.

Thanks for your input.

hole.jpg

nothlle.jpg

Upvote 0

johnreb1980

Jan 7, 2008
Plainville,Ga
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and White's MXT 300
I would say it is probably a case shot ball from inside a artillery shell, like a Bormann shell for example. I have found several that still had the tar or pitch on them. I would leave it alone, it makes a neat display like that. :thumbsup:

Jonathon.

OP
OP
deathhare

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your input.
Makes sense. :thumbsup:

RETREAD

Dec 16, 2007
Many .69 caliber muskets were issued to both sides , especially early inthe hostilities. Many units carried the M 1842 .69 caliber musket through the entire war. They were especially effective with the buck and ball load, a much more certain killer/disabling charge at close range.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread