Is this authentic kepi?

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_0606.JPG
    IMG_0606.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,094
  • IMG_0607.JPG
    IMG_0607.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 971
  • IMG_0608.JPG
    IMG_0608.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 846
  • IMG_0609.JPG
    IMG_0609.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 839
  • IMG_0610.JPG
    IMG_0610.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_0614.JPG
    IMG_0614.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 836
  • IMG_0615.JPG
    IMG_0615.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 855
  • IMG_0616.JPG
    IMG_0616.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 820
  • IMG_0617.JPG
    IMG_0617.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 982
Upvote 0
OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Montana Jim! :thumbsup:

I plan to display it better at home!

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I'd think it was an original... until I knew for sure I'd treat it like an authentic era military uniform cap. As you can see, the value - or at least the price tag, is worth a few gallons of gas!

The history chirper found of the unit is awesome... and may add value... too bad there in no name inside of it!

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
That has got to be one of the BEST pieces I have EVER seen ....

Incredible & Righteous ... Nick

Appreciate the comment, Nick :thumbsup:

Tim

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Jim 100%--this is an old piece, I'm almost certain. Quite a beauty!

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate all the informative and kind posts.

:thumbsup:

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im skeptical...
I think the obvious detail showing its modern would be the existence of vent holes on each side, right?
Do CW caps really have those? Ive never seen one that did but I'm no expert here.
Anyone?

index.php

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it is Civil War era...but maybe later 19th century. Civil War era clothes were hand made and hand stitched and this one is not. It is machine stitched and have reservations about the vents on the side as to Civil War era. Sorry, but I'd say DEFINITELY NOT Civil War Era. Even if made on an "Early" sewing machine the stitches are too neat and tight for that. There also does not appear to have any wear marks from the Regiment Emblem on the front.

P

pippinwhitepaws

Montana Jim said:
I keep thinking it looks more like another type of cap but can't place it...

i have the same feeling on this...mexican? the cut is late 1800'...japanese that someone changed the buttons and badge?

turn that sweat band inside out and see if there is a mark...?

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
I keep thinking it looks more like another type of cap but can't place it...
Almost looks like a pullmans or pursers cap on a train

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After researching American military hats, I have discovered that this kepi is ca 1895, not Civil War material. :icon_study:

Here is a linked page with photo and description:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/VKLRtXA7BR2pWyyD1yf11w?authkey=YRixaW8MGaA&feat=directlink

Here is the source 8 meg file detailing and illustrating the history of U.S. uniforms; a wonderful resource! The link above was extracted from this web publication.
http://www.history.army.mil/html/museums/uniforms/survey_uwa.pdf

see page 39 for my kepi.

I am disappointed this kepi is not Civil War vintage, but I will continue treasure it, and will attempt to get more relevant history of the regiment.
115 yrs old, and in great condition; wish it could talk!

Thanks to all treasure net members who shared this exploration with me. :thumbsup:

ex animo!

P

pippinwhitepaws

i would not be too disappointed...sweet cap, great period of American history...

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chirper97 said:
After researching American military hats, I have discovered that this kepi is ca 1895, not Civil War material. :icon_study:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/VKLRtXA7BR2pWyyD1yf11w?authkey=YRixaW8MGaA&feat=directlink

The hat you linked to is not the same hat. Although it has most of the same details and is the same shape, its not the same hat.
Spacing of things are quite different along with other dissimilarities if you compare. (BTW, I'm not referring to the brass insignia at all. That is obviously different and means nothing as I'm sure there were many used)
The hat in this thread is likely a copy of the hat you linked though.
Good detective work. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
deathhare said:
chirper97 said:

The hat you linked to is not the same hat. Although it has most of the same details and is the same shape, its not the same hat.
Spacing of things are quite different along with other dissimilarities if you compare. (BTW, I'm not referring to the brass insignia at all. That is obviously different and means nothing as I'm sure there were many used)

I say it IS the same hat... maybe a different manufacturer, but the same dang hat: The Model 1895 Enlisted Men's Forage Cap. (Called Kepis in modern day only, they were never called them Kepis during the era).

See this link for pictures... I can't post them here due to copyrights.

http://1-22infantry.org/history/pillbox.htm

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
deathhare said:
chirper97 said:

I say it IS the same hat... maybe a different manufacturer, but the same dang hat: The Model 1895 Enlisted Men's Forage Cap. (Called Kepis in modern day only, they were never called them Kepis during the era).

You got it. Nice work......and it is the same hat!

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
deathhare said:
chirper97 said:

The hat in this thread is different to the one you posted as well. Your link and the other guys link show the same hat with same spacing of details. Again, the one at the top of this thread is obviously different from both links to hats in this thread, including yours.
Its very obvious.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
deathhare said:
Montana Jim said:
deathhare said:
chirper97 said:

The hat in this thread is different to the one you posted as well. Your link and the other guys link show the same hat with same spacing of details. Again, the one at the top of this thread is obviously different from both links to hats in this thread, including yours.
Its very obvious.

I see you have powers of observation that I do not have...

Do you have the ability to post pics and show me these differences? Maybe circle them in red or something?

Anyone else want to weigh in?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread