Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry silvercop only in north ga and south east tenn. Any metal detecting clubs sales or service places in your area? They always have a little info.
Good luck to you.

TnMountains

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anywhere between there and Atlanta should be good for relic hunting. A lot happened around LaGrange.

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
guess i need to do a little research and try and find the current owners of any property in the area and go from there, i was just wondering if anyone here had hunted in the area before

southern1020

Greenie
Jan 25, 2009
I live in West Point. Have always looked for Indian artifacts never found any CW artifacts. Have been thinking about starting a new hobby. Always been intrested in the CW but never really looked for them . I just recently joined a new hunting club outside of the city limits that might have some. I don't have permission to go on the land until mid summer. It's over an thousand acreas. Do you have any luck finding items? I grew up in the Valley.

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
West Point, GA was also on resupply routes during the civil war. Troops and supplies might have gone east to Atlanta from TX, AR, MS and AL.

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
76 casualties from the Battle of West Point, GA are buried in the local cemetary with 19 graves marked with names. Historical markers and breastworks are in place. The battlefield is now a park and you will have to sell the people who butt up next to the park and now you need to go get civil war maps, modern topo map and some battfield accounts. Find the high ground and the water source in a 13 mile circle around the battle site. Go to the local cemetary and research the names and military units.

There you go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

southern1020

Greenie
Jan 25, 2009
armchair QB, what would be a good source to find the battle site maps? I live 2 miles north of the graveyard. I own 10 acreas. The hunting club I just joined is about 2 miles East of the grave yard and as the crow flies about 3 miles from the battle field. I know how to read the land for Indian artifacts but have never really put any effort into CW artifacts. Just hadn't never went out looking. Any help would be great.

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Go to your local library or bookstore and look for a civil war atlas of maps. I cannot remember what the official name is. Go on line and look at the official war records at the Ohio State University they have all accounts of civil war battles from both sides on each battle.

Find out who the commanding officers were and read their accounts of the battle.

I will bet that there is an old map of the fort and when you read the battlefield accounts it should say something like, " We attacked the force in mass from the west side with a heavy bombardment first, the infantry went in mass and hit the west wall and scaled it in mass". "Our troops were brave but weary as they marched 10 miles from our previous campsite". "AT one point during the assault Captain Johnson and his company were mercilessly on the receiving end of a bayonet charge by the confederates, they fought as we thought..... in defense of their homeland".

You can read alot into a passage like that once you have the old and new maps together.

southern1020

Greenie
Jan 25, 2009
Thanks, I start researching. I know where the civil war brige was out to cross the river. It's straight behind my house about a couple of miles. So I know the cross through here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions