Is this a CSA Spur

outtair

Aug 14, 2008
Spanish Fort, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-70, Tesoro Cibola
Recently met a man who had a Great Grandfather who was in the 15th Confederate Cavalry, Company C. He said when his grandfather died they found these spurs in the house. These look like M1885 spurs: they are 1/2 round strap and curved shank. The interesting thing is no manufacutures name but a stamp on the shank that I tried to picture. It is an anchor. Any help on this?
Thanks,
Tim

Attachments

• IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_1432.JPG
    IMG_1432.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_1433.JPG
    IMG_1433.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 510
Upvote 0

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
I can't help,but that is a very nice looking spur.
I hope that it turns out to be a CSA Spur.
I am sure somebody will chime in an ID it for you.
My bet is on Montana Jim :thumbsup:

fortbball9

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know of it's CSA or not but here are more spurs with the anchor mark:

LotImg3979.jpg

North & Judd spurs on ebay. No date given.

Hope this helps.

DCMatt

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
definitely not a Union spur. My Crouch relic book has plenty of Confederate spurs, but none close. Most spurs in my civil war relic book by Crouch have squared ends where the leather attaches.

That is not to say that they are not Confederate. There is one set in the Crouch book that has round ends and it lists them as: "a small, lightly constructed spure that could have been used by a woman". I am sure there were many other types of spurs used during the civil war. Many Confederate soldiers did not even have uniforms so those soldiers may have used very different spurs.

No matter, great set of spurs.

Let us know if you find anything out.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Great ID guys...

I agree with jhettel - while they may have been worn during the war by someone... they are not military issue, which makes it really hard to attribute them to anything, but that they were owned by an old soldier... which in itself is pretty cool.

Great spurs and great ID Matt.

OP
OP
O

outtair

Aug 14, 2008
Spanish Fort, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-70, Tesoro Cibola
Thanks for all the help. The most interesting thing is to find out about the maker mark anchor and that it is a North and Judd. I read about them and found out that they had a US Army contracts through WWI and they were one of the Big 3 in spur manufacturing. I picked up some Crockett spurs while living out West but did not know about North & Judd. My best guess is this veteran bought these after the war and used them while still riding in a cattle operation he had.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions