body found metal decting?

kawalabear

Jun 24, 2008
eastern shore MD.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
a guy my boyfriend works with went to Gettysburg last weekend and took a tour of some sites the guide told them to keep an eye open cause people still find stuff right on top of the ground

then told them that not long ago a guy was metal detecting the area got a hit and started to dig , he found a button and it was attached to some cloth kept digging until he realized it was a shirt with an arm bone in it . he turned it over to someone official who proceded to dig the rest . she said it was only a few inches deep , i have tried to find it on net with no luck . dose anyone know if this really happened or is it just a story to make the tour more instresting.??

Upvote 0

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
The president of our detecting club, before he started detecting, via research, located the body of a civil war soldier. Using detectors, he and the archies found and excavated the body. He told us that they were able to find the buttons, belt buckle, etc with the detector prior to excavation. It is on display periodically at Gettysburg with his name as the finder. Very cool story

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know someone who was digging at a site they where building a new Mc'D and found 2 soldiers. I understand the Smithsonian came out and excavated them.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hutch911 said:
I know someone who was digging at a site they where building a new Mc'D and found 2 soldiers. I understand the Smithsonian came out and excavated them.

I remember this. It was just a couple years ago in Manassas. They found 5 or 6 buried as they were expanding the parking lot at the McD's. Both Union and Confederate - possibly died at CW hospital near by. The Smithsonian did a dig and moved the remains. I don't know where but there was not any big fanfare about it. :(

There was a Confederate officer discovered as they were building Fair Oaks Mall (Fairfax VA) back in the mid 80's. There was only enough left to fill a shoe box , but apparently enough to identify him and ship the remains back to the Carolinas (can't remember which...).

DCMatt

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mentor dug a soldier at the Cloyd's Mountain Battlefield in VA (it is all on private property). Police wouldn't believe him that he'd dug it, so he had to call DAR or SCV or some similar organization. Remains were reinterred in Arlington if I remember correctly.

-Buck

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kawalabear said:
a guy my boyfriend works with went to Gettysburg last weekend and took a tour of some sites the guide told them to keep an eye open cause people still find stuff right on top of the ground

then told them that not long ago a guy was metal detecting the area got a hit and started to dig , he found a button and it was attached to some cloth kept digging until he realized it was a shirt with an arm bone in it . he turned it over to someone official who proceded to dig the rest . she said it was only a few inches deep , i have tried to find it on net with no luck . dose anyone know if this really happened or is it just a story to make the tour more instresting.??

This sounds suspicious Since Metal Detecting,
And even Picking things up is illegal in Gettysburg
& I Think they even Frown on people Looking Down,
out of fear the Temptation would
be too much & They would have to watch you Closely.

& If it was outside the Park, I Don't think there would be Guides.

Of course This is only My opinion.

A Local Club has detected & Placed Markers
for the Arkies to Dig already. But they were not
allowed to dig themselves. This could
be what happend, IF It did.

OP
OP
kawalabear

kawalabear

Jun 24, 2008
eastern shore MD.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
wow i dint think anyone would actually find a body/bones that way . i think the story sounded a little fishy too.

but it is amazing that people still find body's that way any where. it really puts in to perspective to how many people must of been buried in unknown spots. if you can find some still around with enough metal to set any detector off how many are left out there never to be found. that's really mind blowing when you think about it .

thanks for the info. gave me a lot to think about . :icon_scratch:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found a small bone next to a mini ball in Atlanta...checked the area couldnt find any thing else.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off the Bluffs below hunter musuem in Chattanooga are many sawed off human bones. The bullets would lodge in an arm or leg bone and they would saw off the limb when it went sour and throw it into the river. Turtle bait. My cousin dove the river and recovered and saw many sawed bones. He also floated up a large marble urn. He said in the mud were many artifacts as well. They would use weights up river and swing back and forth in the current with dive gear on.He was locating the sunk paddle wheelers from the conflict.
Remains still turn up in yards and gardens along Missionary Ridge and Chickamauga creek for what its worth.... Graves are found all along retreat routes that were not reintered by locals. My relatives lost a son in Virginia. They were able to be at his beside during his death according to the letters I have. The recommended he be buried and come back weather permitting to haul the body home.
Much still out there.
TnMountains

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread