DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The barrel piece maybe off an old toy cannon.

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great saves I like the eagle I,suspender clip and spur, not sure on the buckle the one on the left that is green looks colonial.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
The eagle is the center part of a tongue to an 1840's-50's 2 piece buckle. From the number dug in civil war camps they saw a fari amount of use early in the war. It looks to be the thin rolled brass type which was not very durable.

OP
OP
A. Grignon

A. Grignon

Oct 9, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Whites Beachhunter
Yes, thats what I was thinking and hoping. Two piece buckle part. :)

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
I dug one years ago I found the center piece first and the belt loop later. I never found the wreath though. Oh and on the heel plate I dug one earlier this year that was 1-1/2" by 1-1/2" A guy who collects heel plate said it was a bit post civil war and they had an interesting history. He said that while doing a paper on the history of prostitution for school he found out that the " ladies" wore the heart shaped heel plates and they would leave a print in the dirt. that way the men would know which women to approach. He also told me that an old lady, who had been in the "business" confirmed this. I've never checked it out but thought you might find it interesting

OP
OP
A. Grignon

A. Grignon

Oct 9, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Whites Beachhunter
Very interesting , thanks for the info on the prostitutes. lol

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
You're welcome. I was really surprised to learn about that. The guy who told me said he couldn't imagine a soldier wearing a heal plate like that as all the other men would see the tracks and start following them and that would mess up the flow of the battle ha ha

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
A. Grignon said:
Very interesting , thanks for the info on the prostitutes. lol
Your welcome. By the way here are a couple pic of the eagle tongue I dug below it is a civilian buckle I dug near the same spot

Attachments

• eagle tongue & civilian buckle.jpg
    eagle tongue & civilian buckle.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 902
  • eagle tongue & civilian buckle backs.jpg
    eagle tongue & civilian buckle backs.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 863

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to drag this post up from the past as I dont get over to this side much,and Tongue and Wreaths are my obsession!
As "V",said you do indeed have the center disc of a stamped brass Tongue.It is what we call the Standard Eagle and there is several variations to it,one is actually a three piece that the center disc was soldered on a "T",bar,this design was not very good as we seldom find them still intact,but looking at yours I see that yours has remnants of the bridge(The common weak spot on these "Flimsy",buckles)which means it was a one piece tongue.These buckles were actually made for the California Gold Rush,and the stamped brass ones were actually sold with the elastic cloth belt and trousers as the trousers were basically one size fits all and months in the field would cause anybody to have to "tighten',up the belt!Some of these buckles actually had the retailers name on them which was like the first designer clothing advertisements!I believe the examples that are found east of the Mississ.are undoubtedly lost by men that were in the Gold Fields.Your wreath is what we call a ladies buckle but recently due the large numbers we are finding in sites that we know didnt have women are beginning to wonder if some men wore them?

Vayaknak,your example is actually a quite rare example!!Too bad you never could find the wreath!Another part of these belts thata large percent of people dig and discard as they are not aware of there use is the belt tightners,the one on the right is to a stamped brass buckle such as yours.I will post a couple pics :thumbsup:

Attachments

• eagle buckle.jpg
    eagle buckle.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 628
  • man with buckle.jpg
    man with buckle.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 457
  • ladies1.jpg
    ladies1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 441
  • ladies.jpg
    ladies.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 479
  • ladies complete.jpg
    ladies complete.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 472
  • tightners.jpg
    tightners.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 430

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Kuger
thanks for posting the info and the pics. I didn't know mine was a rare style. I wish I could have found the tongue before the place was built on. A lot of people probably didn't know they had any type of elastic during the civil was either. I can't remember but I believe it was invented in the 1830's or so. They had elastic suspenders and it in shoes (sort of like loafers) as well. I've found a good many wreath to the other type of buckles. We always just called them sash buckles even thought that's not quite right. Also I've dug the belt tighteners before but had never seen one like the stamped one the right.
Thanks again for adding this info

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vayank54 said:
Kuger
thanks for posting the info and the pics. I didn't know mine was a rare style. I wish I could have found the tongue before the place was built on. A lot of people probably didn't know they had any type of elastic during the civil was either. I can't remember but I believe it was invented in the 1830's or so. They had elastic suspenders and it in shoes (sort of like loafers) as well. I've found a good many wreath to the other type of buckles. We always just called them sash buckles even thought that's not quite right. Also I've dug the belt tighteners before but had never seen one like the stamped one the right.
Thanks again for adding this info
You Bet "V",yes there have been examples dug with remnants of the "rubber elastic",still attached,and I have Daguerreotypes of men with revolvers stuck in the belts with "the elasticity",very evident.We have also seen the stamped brass buckles on leather belts as well!
I am glad you know that they are misidentified as SASH buckles as they were not,I am still waiting to see a picture of one in that capacity!
They also are not Militia,although I am sure a militia could have agreed to purchase the same buckles.I would love to see your buckle parts,and yes the one on the right is to the stamped buckles and the ones on the left are to cast buckles. :thumbsup:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
vayank54 said:
I dug one years ago I found the center piece first and the belt loop later. I never found the wreath though. Oh and on the heel plate I dug one earlier this year that was 1-1/2" by 1-1/2" A guy who collects heel plate said it was a bit post civil war and they had an interesting history. He said that while doing a paper on the history of prostitution for school he found out that the " ladies" wore the heart shaped heel plates and they would leave a print in the dirt. that way the men would know which women to approach. He also told me that an old lady, who had been in the "business" confirmed this. I've never checked it out but thought you might find it interesting
I did not know that but it sure makes sense. Great finds by the way

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread