My Spring Project

D

DeSotoTreasur42

The other day, I was talking to my Dad and he mentioned an incident that happened at a job site he was working on. Apparently, a rich guy he works with was dredging a creek and tearing up the land beside the creek when some of the workers started finding Civil War relics. Everything from a few buckles to a couple of guns. Now I am not saying it was a huge deal or anything, just a couple of lucky workers found some treasures.

Anyways, after hearing about this I immediately asked if he could show me where this happened so another day he took me over to the job site and told me that he had seen some metal detectorists out there in the general area where everything was found but that was it, plus it was on private property. Following this I was a little disappointed but the best part finally came. The area these other metal detectorists were searching was very small and there was a bridge and they hadn't gone past that. 1 reason is because of the workers and the 2nd reason was because it was fairly deep into the private property.

Anyways the great news was that I had permission to legally search the property, anytime I wanted. Now that may not sound like to much but I researched the history and found out that there had been multiple battles in the area, a Confederate camp, and the area had switched hands between the Confederates and the Union multiple times. So there is a really good chance that there should be many more relics and treasures to find. Now there is a point to the story. I've never had this kind of opportunity or this kind of area to search, so if there are any suggestions of how I should go about metal detecting this area or anything else, your advice would be appreciated. Thanks everybody.

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take your time! Try not to get in a hurry!

I have a large area I have got permission to hunt and it seems to overwhelm me when I go. Sounds like a great place!

Good luck! Looking forward to your posts!

Nana ;)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Wow ! You really have a great opportunity here. I agree with Nana...take your time, map out your searches and keep a record of it on graph paper with what you find. I am glad you have permission...stay friendly with the owner and make sure you leave no mess...
We are all looking forward to pic of your finds!

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Also make sure that other detectorists do not come in there without permission, maybe a sign "only authorized detectorists beyond this point" ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread