Can anybody reccommend a good Civil War memoir to read?

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know alot of you guys enjoy reading a good book from time to time like I do.............I thought I would share a couple of titles that I have really enjoyed reading on first hand experiences of the civil war. My favorite one of all time to date has been Co. Aytch by Sam Watkins. He is a naturally gifted story teller and was a private in the Army of Tennessee. If you civil war buffs have not read this one I believe it is one you should add to your collection. I have read it 3 times I like it so much. I enjoyed another one too called Rebel Private Front and Rear by William Fletcher. It is another good read from another private and also first persons point of view during battle, taken prisoner, escaping and getting back to his company. I know if any of you guys pick either of these books up to read for yourself you will enjoy them. I ask if you fellow civil war buffs here on T'net could point me in the right direction on a good memoir from the civil war to read also. Thanks in advance for any replies this thread will receive, Tim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't read the book, but have read a synopsis of U.S. Grant's autobiography. That would be a good read for info NOT written up in the OR's.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One of the best books that I have is titled THE WARTIME PAPERS OF ROBERT E. LEE and list all of the orders and personal letters he wrote during the war. It is 995 pages and great to cross reference with battles. It is in chronogical order and a great book to read. There are letters to Jefferson Davis, Jackson, Stuart and other generals as well as letters to his wife and children. I also find it interesting to see the letters sent to Grant at the time of surrender setting up a meeting time. This is one book that every civil war buff should read.

this is the link to amazon about the book http://www.amazon.com/Wartime-Papers-Robert-Capo-Paperback/dp/0306802821#noop

cobra_jet

Jan 5, 2009
Picket line, Fort Mahone
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro and Gold Bug Pro-DP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Try:

Four years in the Stonewall Brigade by John O. Casler
War Talks of Confederate Veterans by George S. Bernard

Just a couple.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
try the "confederate miliitary history" - volume #8 tennessee--by the blue and gray press * it contains the battle reports of the confederates in tennessee during the war and besides being interesting is true and can help you find small skirmish sites and camp sites from its info as well -- :wink: ;D :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks alot I am going to write the titles and authors down and seek them out, Tim

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
bigtim1973 said:
Thanks alot I am going to write the titles and authors down and seek them out, Tim
I'd recommend the books in the pictures. But my favorite is Private Elisha Stockwell. It's the memoirs of a local hero who lived not 20 miles from my home here in West Central Wisconsin. I'd consider loaning it out on an exchange basis for a book of similar content. I also have a couple more that may be of interest. Captured by the Indian will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up!
PM me if your interested.

Sidevalve

Attachments

• IMG_4057_1.JPG
    IMG_4057_1.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_4058_1.JPG
    IMG_4058_1.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_4056_1.JPG
    IMG_4056_1.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 335

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recently discover the Author "Wiley Sword". He has written some fine books. One about Stones River and Nashville and one about Chattanooga. I also liked Lee's Leutenants. For maps the big civil war atlas.
Happy Reading
TnMtns

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ivan salis said:
try the "confederate miliitary history" - volume #8 tennessee--by the blue and gray press * it contains the battle reports of the confederates in tennessee during the war and besides being interesting is true and can help you find small skirmish sites and camp sites from its info as well -- :wink: ;D :icon_thumright:

very interesting. I am going to look this one up myself.... thanks

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mosby's Memoirs The memoirs of colonel John Singleton Mosby by John s. Mosby Its a great book, my favorite of all the civil war books I have read.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"life of a common soldier" by Nicholas B. Grant. True story of a fellow from my area who slipped through Confederate lines into Kentucky to join Union army. He returned after the war and was a prosperous farmer. The community of Grantsboro is named after him.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I just finished one "Perryville:This grand Havoc of Battle" Im not at home so I dont have the book and forget the author. Excellent book though,follows Bragg and Buels armies across Tennessee and all across KY then describes a one-day battle with around 7000 casualties that a lot of people have never even heard of. A wonderful telling of a horrible day. Perryville is about 35 miles from my home as the crow flies but closer to 60 to drive it. I was thrilled when Braggs army marched down a road less than a mile from my home then camped around and marched through a town about 4 miles from me,the day before my birthday in 1862.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread