Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I have received one other reference and I'll check it out. My local book store don't have either one but Amazon might. Thanks again! Monty

Bill Battle

Greenie
Oct 14, 2009
The most prominent reference book for bullet collectors:

Civil War Projectiles II - Small Arms & Field Artillery by W. Reid Mckee and M.E Mason Jr. 1980.

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I own and recommend both.
Mike

Clay Lindsey

Jan 8, 2010
Sierra Vista, AZ
Gentlemen,

A little assistance if you would please... I know this may fall into the category of post civil war, but I would like some confirmation on this .22 shell I had found. I believe it is a Phoenix Metallic Cartridge Co. copper coated shell produced between 1874-1891. I believe it is not a "Peters" cartridge because it has a roman-esque style "P" and not a smooth "P". Thank you for any help in advance.

Clay

Attachments

• 22 shell.jpg
    22 shell.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 290
OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, Remington-Peters, probably 1950s. Monty

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Bill Battle said:
The most prominent reference book for bullet collectors:

Civil War Projectiles II - Small Arms & Field Artillery by W. Reid Mckee and M.E Mason Jr. 1980.
This is the book I've always used and is the one North South Trader uses to ID bullets in their price guide.

Clay Lindsey

Jan 8, 2010
Sierra Vista, AZ
Monty,

Kindest Sir. I hate to continue to be a pain, but the closest possible date I can get for this cartridge would be of the most benefit. Using your advise, I found on the internet, the specified difference between the impressed "P" and the raised "P". Additionally, I was able to find a photo at an auction site that shows the headstamp from the 1950's for Peter's; and it was a smooth "P".

Because I am working an area that contains overlapping layers of history, ironically, my ability to properly date my site rests with the ability to date this cartridge very specifically. All I have on the subject is the internet. If you would please, help me in this endeavor. I will be eternally greatful.

Clay

Attachments

• peters headstamp.jpg
    peters headstamp.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 275
OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I am looking for a book on early projectiles and bullets. I did not see where it was a "raised"P in your first inquiry. You need to post this inquiry on the "What Is It" forum and be very precise about the description. You should get several opinions. Does your book say anything about the Rem./Peters "Rocket" .22 shells? They came in flat packets like Chicklet gum and I don't recall what they had on the headstamp, assuming it was a Rem/Peters product. That's the only other ones I am familar with. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Monty

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have ordered the CW Projectiles II from Amazon. I got it for $38.95. one place wanted $123.00 for it! That is wild! Thanks everyone. Monty

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
I think you got it at a decent price. $123.00 is insane. I think you might be in for a surprise when you see all the different bullets and variants.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pretty much knew how many varients there was, especially CSA. They made bullets enywhere they could with whatever equipment they could find. I have hands on with a great many modern bullets and there is just as many varients now days as there was back then. Monty

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Monty said:
I have ordered the CW Projectiles II from Amazon. I got it for $38.95. one place wanted $123.00 for it! That is wild! Thanks everyone. Monty
The $123.00 was most likely for a first edition issue. I think the book has many editions.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my book a couple of days ago and was noticing several typos and misspelled words. Looks like some home publishing perhaps? But it contains more information than I am apt to ever need! Thanks for the recommendations all. Monty

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Monty
I should have mentioned that some findings have come to light since McKee's & Mason's book was published. One I know for sure is # 159 on page 30. It is listed as a double end Whitworth. It was thought to be a Whitworth because of the length and caliber. It was later found to have been used in a gun called a Vandenberg. these bullets were only dug in 2 or 3 locations. One in Tenn. and I believe another was in NC
Here is a link for a bit more info if you are interested
Some more info you might not need :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread