Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I just purchased a dug canon ball off ebay that the seller says was found on farm land in Champlin, Minnesota.

Is it a real canon ball or is it a ball for a Ball Mill? See BIG picture below

The ball is 3 inches in diameter and the seller says it weighs 4 lbs.

Okay, what do you think? Did I get burned?

If not, what can you tell me about Champlin, Minnesota, during the Civil War? (or that general time period).

Thanks,

M. Badger

Attachments

• bigball.jpg
    bigball.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 264
Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"uncle"zeb it "may" be one of those concrete mixing/smashing balls not sure i remember postings from others about them ole omni was usually all over it was in a few of his posts....

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I sure hope not. I know about the cement mixing balls but from the picture it doesn't look like one of those to me.

And too, assuming the guy was telling me the truth, the ball was found by his father back in the mid 1920's.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Badger,

you mentioned, "Civil War", are you sure?

Could it be prior to the Civil War?

British in this area of Illinois used 2 1/2 and 2 11/16 inch balls
for their swivel guns. Was a 3 inch obsolete prior to Civil war?

I'm almost certain the size your talking about, (3 pounder) was
obsolete prior to the Civil War.

Several (5) have been found S/W of the City of Chicago in an
area known as Palos. French, American, and English are known
to have passed through the area.

have a good un...........
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Champlin is a suburb of the Twin Cities.
There were a number of forts in and around this area in the 1860's. Our detecting club was given exclusive permission to detect one of these forts on private property. It was only occupied for one year. (1863) It was a little further west of Champlin, but there were other forts in that vicinity that were used to protect settlers in the region during the Dakota Conflict. (Check out the Dakota Conflict on the Web).
I have seen many very nice CW artifacts found mainly along the Minnesota river.
I would have no reason not to believe that this was a legitimate find.
Nice Find!

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
Badger,

you mentioned, "Civil War", are you sure?

Could it be prior to the Civil War?

British in this area of Illinois used 2 1/2 and 2 11/16 inch balls
for their swivel guns. Was a 3 inch obsolete prior to Civil war?

I'm almost certain the size your talking about, (3 pounder) was
obsolete prior to the Civil War.

Several (5) have been found S/W of the City of Chicago in an
area known as Palos. French, American, and English are known
to have passed through the area in the 17th and 18th centuries.

have a good un...........
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Good point! I was thinking that very thing myself.

Also there's the Fort Ridgely attack by the Santee Sioux in 1862. That took place in the Minnesota River Valley which is about 40 miles from Champlin if I recall correctly.

That was one big battle!

But you're right, it could have been from some time before the Civil War started. Again, if I recall correctly, the 3 inch smooth bores were more popular prior to 1862.

Oh, by-the-way, do you happen to know the exact diameter of those stinking cement balls? It seems to me they were under 3 inches.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
bk said:
Champlin is a suburb of the Twin Cities.
There were a number of forts in and around this area in the 1860's. Our detecting club was given exclusive permission to detect one of these forts on private property. It was only occupied for one year. (1863) It was a little further west of Champlin, but there were other forts in that vicinity that were used to protect settlers in the region during the Dakota Conflict. (Check out the Dakota Conflict on the Web).
I have seen many very nice CW artifacts found mainly along the Minnesota river.
I would have no reason not to believe that this was a legitimate find.
Nice Find!

Hey, thanks much bk! ;D 8) I posted above before I saw your post.

This info is very useful INDEED! You made my day!

Also thanks SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS and dekalb33.

Keep it coming!

Badger

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:'( im sorry no worries just putting out a thought nothing neg. just well its ebay is all...

muddyknees

May 5, 2005
Holden Beach,North Carolina
Not saying your ball isn't a real cannon ball. but buyers beware. I worked in the mining industry for 29 years ,we had 3 big machines called a ball mill almost like a giant rock polisher it ground up a pea size gravel of the ore we mined into a fine powder.I know where there is a tractor trailer load of this the mine is not i operation any more any one want to help sell these. just kidding they were the wight and diameter you have . I have 4 in my garage I welded a bar and made curling weights .
muddyknees

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
There sure wasn't much action up in Minnesota during the Civil War, but I am sure there were some forts. I think they had more problems with the Indians than the rebels. There were no real Union/Confederate battles in that state that I know of.

There was a 6 pound smooth bore cannon ball used a lot by both sides early in the war. It is 3.67 inches in diameter. Go to this site and take a look around http://www.civilwarartillery.com/

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
muddyknees said:
Not saying your ball isn't a real cannon ball. but buyers beware. I worked in the mining industry for 29 years ,we had 3 big machines called a ball mill almost like a giant rock polisher it ground up a pea size gravel of the ore we mined into a fine powder.I know where there is a tractor trailer load of this the mine is not i operation any more any one want to help sell these. just kidding they were the wight and diameter you have . I have 4 in my garage I welded a bar and made curling weights .
muddyknees

I'd guess the big difference would be that the rock balls are steel and the canon are iron. And too, there would be a very slight difference in diameter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread