Eastern Kentuckys battles

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
Eastern Kentucky's battles

This is a list of the civil war battles and skirmishes fought in Eastern Kentucky. I am listing this because most people do not think that Kentucky was important in the history of the civil war.
1. Skirmish at West Liberty, Oct. 23, 1861
2. Battle of Ivy Mountain, Nov. 8. 1861
3. Skirmish at Tom's Creek, Jan 4, 1862
4. Skirmish at Jenny's Creek, Jan 7, 1862
5. Battle of Middle Creek, Jan 10, 1862
6. Battle of Pound Gap. Mar. 14, 1862
7. Menifee's Raid on Pikeville Aug 2-5, 1862
8. Marshall's Invasion of Eastern Kentucky. Sept. 1862
9. Battle of Wireman's Shoals, Dec 4, 1862
10. Marshall's raid through Eastern Kentucky, Mar.- April 1863
11. Skirmish at Smokey Valley, Mar. 24, 1863
12. Battle of Turman's ferry, Jan. 9 1864
13. Clay's Raid into Eastern Kentucky, Mar.-April 1864
14. Battle of Puncheon Creek (Half Mountain) April 14, 1864
15. Morgan's Last Kentucky raid, June 2-12, 1864
16. Battle of Cynthiana, June 12, 1864

Upvote 0

swiftseeker2005

Greenie
Oct 26, 2005
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Tesoro Cibola
Re: Eastern Kentucky's battles

Good info Snake35. I know of a small skirmish fought on the right fork of Beaver Creek as troops advanced towards Maggoffin County thru the Licking Valley. The Confederates also had a small recruiting post set up at the mouth of Beaver Creek. There was also a small Confederate encampment somewhere on Beaver Creek. Supposedly, Confederate forces destroyed several wagon loads of supplies somewhere in the Middle Creek area as they were retreating away from the Battle Of Middle Creek. If someone could locate the exact area that the stores were destroyed, I'm sure that many relics could be found. Eastern Ky definately saw quite a bit of action and troop movement!

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

I remember detecting the Mill Springs, Kentucky battlefield site around about 1970. It appeared at the time that most of the countryside had changed little since the battle in 1862. I don't know how it looks now. At the time the site was pretty obscure with just 2 weathered monuments in a small drive off area next to the highway. Most people who stopped and read the monuments on a small knob where unaware that they were standing on a Confederate mass grave. Quite a contrast to the Union cemetery with a flag waving down the road. At the time the locals used it as a lovers lane judging by the type of trash I observed in the small drive off area.

The area was all private land and I readily obtained permission from the landowners to detect the battlefield site. By 1970 most of the area had been heavily metal detected by countless dozens of people. However, I was persistent and detected the difficult or the out of the way places such as near farm machinery or in bushes and recovered my share of relics from the site.

George

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky

The mouth of Beaver Creek is in Frenchburg. I have hunted for but never found that Confederate camp. There is also a rather large camp used by both sides somewhere above Frenchburg, that supposedly hasn't been found. Lord knows I've tried unsuccessfully. There is a very good "diary" written by a Union Soldier that resided in Olympian Springs/Mt. Sterling. He tells all! It's a must read. Lots of clues in it.

T

trouble1332

snake, ya got any info on who fought in them battles? i'm lookin for an ancestor that moved from kentucky to missouri. Capt. Hiram Bledsoe is his name. pretty famous here in mo.just wonderin if he was in any of em.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread