texas revolution cannon ball?

turgeo2004

Feb 6, 2011
I found a what i think is a cannon ball in gonzales texas back in 94 on my uncles farm when i was a kid , it is solid dimensions 2 7/8 inch wide to 3 inch not perfectly round. Solid ball
there are a couple of TINY holes not large enough for a fuse unless maybe this is not a cannon ball but maybe an old hand grenade? did the texans have such a thing back then?
the hole is about 1 mm in diameter. im thinking it is not technologically possible to create a hollow iron ball with a 1 mm hole and be able to pour gunpowder in it. so maybe the hole came from something else.
(it is not that deep of a hole thow it could have sand or dirt in it to make it appear not so deep.)
Can anyone out there help me to verify what this ball is.

the battle of gonzales occured in that area. during texas revolution. but i have no idea wether this is from texan side or mexican side, is it a cannon ball or cannon shot?
or is it a rock crushing iron ball. (there are no mines in that area and i dont know of any in the past so i dont think it is rock crushing thing)
here is a pic

I dont have a way to scale this as i dont have a scale in my house. but it feels like a 4 pound ball maybe 5. so im guessing anywhere from 3 pounds to 6 pounds.
The gonzales cannon that the texans used in first shot of texas revolution takes a 6 pounder. so if i am able to wiegh this and it is 6 pounds then it most likely came from the gonzales cannon if so.
what do you guys think it might be worth? ASSUMING it is not a rock crushing ball. and is a real cannon ball.

I did alot of research it (havent wieghed it yet thow)

Attachments

• PICT0075.JPG
    PICT0075.JPG
    489.6 KB · Views: 1,193
  • PICT0077.JPG
    PICT0077.JPG
    386 KB · Views: 590
  • PICT0080.JPG
    PICT0080.JPG
    465.1 KB · Views: 618
  • PICT0075.JPG
    PICT0075.JPG