Interesting Find

W

W4UVV

Last week I found 1 Union dropped three raised ring bullet, a dropped cleaner bullet and a sheared portion of a fired Union bullet. The finds were nothing exotic. My son and I have found other bullets in the past around the area. Upon closely examining the fired bullet fragment I noticed as a result of the ground impact and heat influences a portion of the remaining bullet lead had formed a crude skull like formation. It is difficult to see relief details on the jpg but there are two small holes for the eyes, a portion for the nose and mouth area. Also interesting to me was the bullets were oxidized a noticeable whitish color as a result of being in red clay for 140 years. Soil conditions vary in the Petersburg , Va. area and most of the Confederate and Union bullets we have found tend to oxidize a greyish color influenced by the hard pan clay in which they impacted or were dropped. Attached is a jpg of the aforementioned bullet.

Switching subjects am I the only one who read in the Richmond newspaper about the guy from Lynchburg who found 34 buried Confederate 12 pound cannonballs somewhere(I could a good guess generally) 3.5 ft. down along Lee's Retreat route? The article indicated he received a weak response on his detector. This guy has found a lot of items according to the article. He must have a hell of a detector. He is to be profiled in one of the upcoming issues of a treasure hunting magazine.

Upvote 0

mavrick03

Sep 29, 2004
Stafford Va
W4UVV
Yep thats one of them there famous Yankee skull buster's we like to call em up north.
nawww I'm just kidding but its a cool find
hey i up in Fredericksburg and I have some areas up this way that might intrest you especially out in Chancellorsville.

Mav

OP
OP
W

W4UVV

Mav,
Tnx. Yes, I would like to have your contact info if I have the occasion to get up that way. Fredericksburg is about 90 miles north on I95. I am located close to where I295 and I95 intersect near Petersburg. I read frequency in the Richmond paper about various protection groups trying to buy private land and did so within the past 2 weeks somewhere around Chancellorsville. So I guess it is hit and miss even with permission to hunt. Apparantly there a lot of troops covering a lot of territory around Chancellorsville and the Wilderness. My email is <[email protected]>.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W4UVV said:
Mav,
Tnx. Yes, I would like to have your contact info if I have the occasion to get up that way. Fredericksburg is about 90 miles north on I95. I am located close to where I295 and I95 intersect near Petersburg. I read frequency in the Richmond paper about various protection groups trying to buy private land and did so within the past 2 weeks somewhere around Chancellorsville. So I guess it is hit and miss even with permission to hunt. Apparantly there a lot of troops covering a lot of territory around Chancellorsville and the Wilderness. My email is <[email protected]>.
I think the protection group your talking about is the "Civil War Preservation Trust".They keep sending me maps of various battlefields they are trying to buy ,to prevent urban development.It's good in one respect,but in another it's gonna make these lands more inaccessible than they already are.Maybe, if those such as myself who like to hunt civil war relics,were to become contributers to the cause, by saving these battlefields and becoming friends with the members of the board,sometime in the future we might be able to "offer our metal detecting services" at these sites.Granted,we probably wouldn't be able to keep our finds,but at least there'd be something there to find.As it is now,URBAN SPRAWL is our biggest concern regarding battlefields.If it continues at this pace, all of the major battlefields will be gone due to development.These lands are SACRED to me and my ancestors who fought there.I would like to see them saved!

OP
OP
W

W4UVV

Now that I examine the fragmented bullet more closely I think you are correct. It is an image of the Virgin Mary without hair. There also appears to be a tomato like substance on the bullet such as that found on a slice of pizza. If I am carassed properly, I could part with it for say $50,000...cash of course.

B

brla

i smoke malboro light & this the 1st pic is really light

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions