Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Apr 2007
    Irving, Texas
    Minelab Soverign, Fisher 1280

Pawn Stars/Oval CS buckle

I could swear that the "expert" on Pawn Stars said that the Confederacy never made an oval CS bucke. Whose nuts me or him?

us
    May 2011
    3 times

Re: Pawn Stars/Oval CS buckle

He was wrong, They did make oval belt plates with C.S. in them. Look up confederate belt buckles and plates.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2006
    SE Louisiana
    Garrett AT Pro & Ace 250
    1373 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I heard him say that too...and I thought that he was full of it. But, the buckle was really unique with the slug in it.

us
    Nov 2004
    Edwards,Missouri
    MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
    36 times

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat
    I heard him say that too...and I thought that he was full of it. But, the buckle was really unique with the slug in it.
    RR - remember the one at JD's hunt that the young man helping at the supper in Warsaw had?His dad found it many yrs ago,not with a detector,just happened to see it in the field he was plowing.It had the ball almost dead center.JD and I both tried to buy it but he wouldn't sell it.He's not a detectorist either.

May 2008
    Linden, VA
    Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
    21 times
    Relic Hunting

That if fake as it comes. That bullet would of been flattened out on the nose for one. The patina looks like it was brushed on and the led fill in the back seemed to over flow the brass skin. I call B.S

us
    Apr 2007
    Irving, Texas
    Minelab Soverign, Fisher 1280

That's what I thought. Everything I've known about Civil War buckles would be wrong if the confederacy never made an oval CS. I've seen many of them in person and in books etc. But he's an "expert". Maybe that one is fake but they did make 'em. But I've been wrong before even if only that one time.
    Mitch

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    80 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch911
    That if fake as it comes. That bullet would of been flattened out on the nose for one. The patina looks like it was brushed on and the led fill in the back seemed to over flow the brass skin. I call B.S
    I was wondering about that myself
    but never caught what the so called
    expert said about the buckle/bullet !
    ALLEN

us
    Dec 2010
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Yes they did make oval CS. Look in my avatar. Regular size oval with small CS in the middle. 3 iron hooks on back. I dug the one in my avatar around 2000 or 2001(I'd have to look through my dated pics). I sold that buckle to Carolina Relics for $8K cash and he flipped it at the same show for $10K. So yes, they did make CS oval's. I know that as fact.

us
    Apr 2006
    Tennessee/Texas
    Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
    3 times

Oval or not the buckle was a fake. I have seen several bullet struck buckles in person. From one at the Shiloh Relics when Riley owned it to Union ones located in South Texas. A bullet striking a plate with enough force to penetrate it will deform the bullet badly. If a bullet entering the body strikes a bone it will flatten so badly that it will sometimes exit being larger than a half dollar.
    Their is no way a bullet can strike a plate and penetrate that plate without serious deformity. The bullet in pawnstars looked clean as a baby's butt. Sorry, no way. Ask anyone who understands ballistics, not possible.

Yes Virgina, the CSA did make round plates.
    http://www.armyoftennesseerelics.com...etta10_002.JPG

At least we rednecks of the western theater did !!!!!
    Arooooooo Wolf Pack

Sponsors