Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
joecoin said:
truckinbutch said:
joecoin said:
As for being a "Civil War", that is a misnomer used by historians. By definition, a civil war is the result of 2 or more factions fighting for control of a single country. The southern states LAWFULLY seceded from the United States' union and formed a separate and sovereign country with their own president, v-president, and legislature. ...

... Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation was all just eyewash. The President did not have Constitutional authority to free ANYONE by changing a law. That would have required Congressional action followed by the President's signature to make LAW. If you read the EP (it's only one short page) you'll see that Lincoln "freed" the slaves in ONLY the "secessionist" states with the exception of 2 unnamed parishes in south Louisiana. ...

Seems to me if the CSA was "a separate and sovereign country" then Lincoln could certainly declare all slaves in that "separate and sovereign country" free without needing any Constitutional authority whatsoever, since such a proclamation had no bearing on that other "separate and sovereign country" known as the USA. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
:icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: I can't figure that logic . Would it be valid today for a sitting President to declare all women in Muslem countries emancipated ?
You got it. There is nothing legally stopping him from doing so. Does it mean they would be emancipated?
WHOO! Above my pay grade :laughing7:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The EP looked good on paper, but like joecoin said, it had no bearing on the southern states :laughing7:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Oh , Heck ! ,
Gotta stick my oar in the water one more time :
There were political/tax dollar considerations that were a contention between the north and south .
We had also existed for a number of years without a major conflict . Farms were full of young boys ,
north and south , staring at mule's azzes over plow handles day in and day out . Never been anywhere or done anything and could only dream of the glories of uncles and grandpap's wars that were evening stories .
It takes a willing populace to have a conflict and these boys left home to go on a Grand Adventure .
By the time the realities of war had settled in on them ; it was too late to turn back.

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique
truckin butch,

I gotta agree with your analysis of boys and mules. However, there were contentious " political/tax dollar considerations" between East and West also. Additionally, the Federal government could easily have gone to war with any number of European countries that were in violation of the Monroe Doctrine. But, they did not.

The war was started by 7 slave states. Because of slavery.

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
A big part of emancipating the slaves throughout the Confederacy was to prevent other countries like England and France from getting involved in the war on the Confederate side.
Emancipating the slaves turned the war into the war over slavery. England was a nonslave country who would not fight for slavery which is what they would have been doing if they chose to recognize and join the Confederacy. Smart move for Linclon.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the EP told slaves in the south --if you run away to the north you will be free * if the north wins the war --you slaves in the south will be freed -- so guess what the slaves are going to do ? run away and when they get to the north having "no work" they join the union army * -this weaken the souths food production for the army since they lose "feild labor" --lessen cotton production to sell overseas and also weakens the rebel army as they have to divert men to act as run away slave catchers -- plus each slave that escapes becomes "man power" for the union forces as labors & soldiers -- lincoln words were far from meaningless banter -- it was illegal to do -- to "make" law on his own by "decree" kings do that --its law because I say so .... in america --congress - the house and senate makes law and the president signs it --or lets it become law without signing it.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
spartacus53 said:
Here are 2 quick and interesting questions, feel free to post your trivia questions too
The answers

1- What town in Virginia changed hands about 26 times

Centreville, VA

2- CSA Gen. Forrest has 2 interesting facts, plus a well know quote... Can you identify all 3

1- He had 29 horse shot out from under him during the Civil War
2- After the Civil War, he founded the KKK
3- the quote was "get there firstest with the mostest".

OK Spart, I am sorry but I have some problems with your second question. Forrest was famous for so many things that Just a couple are not nearly enough in my humble opinion.
3. Managed to convince Col Able Streight to surrender to him although Forrest was outnumbered 3 to 1.

4. The only man to enlist as a Private and leave service as a General.

5. Outnumbered 4 to 1 managed to decisively defeat Gen Sturgis at Brices Crossroads MS.

4. Wounded by a fellow officer in an argument Forrest managed to kill his attacker with a pocket knife. (When learning he had fatally injured the attacking officer he went to his side and apologized.)

5. Called "That Devil Forrest." By Sherman, the Union General was quoted as saying "Their shall never be peace in West Tennessee until that Devil Forrest is dead." and "I only feared one man during the war and that was General Forrest.".

6. Annihilated Fort Pillow and it's defenders after telling the defending Commander that if he did not surrender no quarter would be given.

The list goes on and on. The same with quotes.
"Put the Skeer in them and keep it in them."
"War is to the knife, and the knife to the hilt."
On being told they were surrounded at Parkers Crossroads by his second in command, the Second in command asked "What will we do sir?" Forrest reply??
"Attack them both ways."
Here is a little known fact. General Erwin Rommel visited the United States in 1933. In his memoirs was this passage, "Of all places I have seen here Clifton (Tennessee) is the most beautiful.". Rommel was in West Tennessee following the path to Parkers Crossroads studying Forrest. The British Army and later the American ran into Forrest's tactics being used in of all places, North Africa!!!

I do love the history of Forrest and my family's home in West Tennessee so I am going to give one more tale about Forrest, and then I will shut up already!! ;D

On the pursuit of Sturgis in the aftermath of Brices Crossroads the Confederates under Forrest were pursuing as hard as they could to follow up the complete rout of the Union. During the night on the first day of the pursuit toward Memphis a drenching line of Thunderstorms left the roads a nightmarish quagmire and by torch light Forrest watched from a small bluff above the road as an Artillerymen tried to free a limber that was stuck and thus holding up the rest of the Artillery. Forrest thundered down the bluff and proceed to cuss the Artillerymen trying to free the limber from the suction of the black Mississippi mud. An indignant Artillery Sgt yelled back at Forrest, "No man talks to me that way!!" and he then jerked the top of the limber open and thrust a lit torch into it!!!! Forrest spurred his charger and went back up the bluff as fast as he could to avoid losing his life to the explosion to follow.
The reality was all of the Artillery men knew the limber was empty. They had taken the ammo out earlier to lighten the limber facuiltating it's extraction from the mud!!
Realizing he had been duped rode back down the embankment to the offending Sgt and doffed his hat and said with a smile, "That was a good one Sgt, now get this dammed thing out of here.". Thus Forrest showed that while having quite a temper he also could take an occasional joke!!

That's all, I am outta here my friends!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread