Flea Market Buttons

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
I found these two buttons in a box of misc. junk at a NC flea market. All the junk appeared to be dug items ranging from scrap rusted metal to buttons and tokens. I picked these two buttons out for $2 each and asked the guy where they came from. He said a friend metal detected and gave him junk to sell.

One button appears to be an early Naval button with the eagle. The back is marked "Treble Gilt Stand Coluor". The other matches the size of SC cadet buttons I've seen online. It is definitely SC in origin and the backmark is "Henry V Allien Co NY".

Any information that anyone could give would be appreciated. Age? Civil war? Value?

I think $4 was a decent price to pay for both!

(Sorry for the image of the SC button, it's a little fuzzy)

Attachments

• Naval Button.jpg
    Naval Button.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 861
  • SC Button.jpg
    SC Button.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 790
Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The top appears to be an 1812 Navy button but definitely pre 1840. The bottom is a S.C. cadet button. The only way to tell if it is Civil War or not is by the backmark.

OP
OP
Goldmanford

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
americancivilwarrelics said:
The top appears to be an 1812 Navy button but definitely pre 1840. The bottom is a S.C. cadet button. The only way to tell if it is Civil War or not is by the backmark.

The backmark of the SC button is "Henry V Allien Co NY". I tried searching online but had little luck. Would that backmark place it during the Civil War?

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden
The CS button is not likely CW made,it is made in NY,so manufacturer would have been charged with treason.
However before secession future Confederate states were scrambling to equip armies from whatever supplier before the war made it difficult.
still Believe it to be Post war,though.
Id love to be proven wrong on this..
HH,Mont

Aug 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your S.C. button is post war. Henry Allien & Co. were in business from 1877-1948. Still a neat button. Montepollock is right. Most northern manufacturers didn't mark the buttons they sold to the south because it would have been treason. However, most Southern buttons that are marked with Northern backs (which is a very high number) were produced before the war for the state militias. If you collect South Carolina buttons you will notice that they had a lot of different makers before the war. South Carolina was probably the largest military hub in the South.

OP
OP
Goldmanford

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
Thanks for the informative posts. I appreciate ya'lls help. Was $2 each a pretty good deal? I wasted a couple bucks on many other things that were not nearly as interesting.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
VERY WORTH WHILE IF YOUR NOT HAPPY i'LL GIVE YOU $5 FOR THE PAIR OF EM. PLUS POSTAGE.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would give you $20 for the first one in a heart beat!!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are some great buttons! You just never know what you will find at a flea market. I once bought an original Enfield bullet mold at a flea market for $10 and sold it a few months later for $700!! That stuff is out there, you just have to have the eye to find it. Good Job! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread