Rare Books: War of the Rebellion, Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Sticks1

Jan 12, 2010
I have in my collection 112/128 volumes of the presentation set given to US Senator Frank Jenne Cannon, 1st Utah Senator 1896-1899. The books are in good to very good condition. There is F.J. Cannon embossed on the bottom of the binding of each book. There were 10,000 copies made. 7000 went to the US Congress, 2000 went to the US Senators and 1000 to other executives in the government. Can someone tell me what the value would be as a partial set and the fact that it belonged to the first Utah US senator? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
You have 112 out of 128 volumes? Is that correct?

A complete set of the originals in nice condition would probably retail for about $3,000. A dealer would probably offer you half that - and that would be a fair price, because these could remain in stock for a long time before the collector comes along who wants them.

If you are missing only 14 volumes, I would consider picking them up to fill out the set. Generally, a complete set commands a premium over the per-volume price.

There are many, many dealers in Civil War books out there - I think you'll be able to sell this set.

The Association with Sen. Cannon might bring additional value in Utah or another Western state.

Another way to go, given the difference between wholesale and resale prices, would be to donate the set and take the tax deduction.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread