Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Aug 2011
    Jackson , Tenn
    Garrett Ace 250,bounty hunter tracker 4,Garrett pro pointer
    8 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Buffalo River treasure

During the Civil War a Union supply train was robbed. A chest containing gold and silver coins worth $50,000 was tossed into the Buffalo River near a town called Flat Wood in Perry County.Does any know more about this treasure?
    Few of us can stand prosperity. Another man's,I mean.  MARK TWAIN

es
    Jan 2009
    Madison, MS
    Bounty Hunter

Re: Buffalo River treasure

I have a hard time believing any "threw treasue in a river" story, "robbed a stagecoach and buried the gold" or "pirates burying treasure" type story. Stories change as they're passed down thru the years. People in those days were poor and I believe if someone went thru the trouble of getting wealth, they'd find a way to retain it. Not toss it in a river or bury it with no guarantee of ever recovering it. Several guys with saddlebags could move alot of weight in my opinion.

Civil War treasure is like pirate treasure. Has there ever been a documented find of a 'buried chest" of gold and jewels?

Not trying to be disrespectfull to you. You're entitled to your beliefs. It's great to imagine somewhere there's a pile of gold in a river but I classify those stories under tall tales.

us
    Apr 2006
    Tennessee/Texas
    Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
    3 times

Tall tale or not here is a good book regarding Treasure in Tennessee. I have the book and I like the County by County synopsis. It includes the legend regarding the Flat Woods tale. Incredibly beautiful area near Flat Woods and the Buffalo river there. Good luck.

http://www.therockerbox.com/perry_co..._treasures.htm
    Arooooooo Wolf Pack

us
    Dec 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Ron
    I have a hard time believing any "threw treasue in a river" story, "robbed a stagecoach and buried the gold" or "pirates burying treasure" type story. Stories change as they're passed down thru the years. People in those days were poor and I believe if someone went thru the trouble of getting wealth, they'd find a way to retain it. Not toss it in a river or bury it with no guarantee of ever recovering it. Several guys with saddlebags could move alot of weight in my opinion.

Civil War treasure is like pirate treasure. Has there ever been a documented find of a 'buried chest" of gold and jewels?

Not trying to be disrespectfull to you. You're entitled to your beliefs. It's great to imagine somewhere there's a pile of gold in a river but I classify those stories under tall tales.
    Agreed
    DH

th
    Nov 2010
    Thailand/Europe/California
    Excalibur 2 1000
    128 times

Double agree!! Caches yes, but throwing chest of gold into the river, no. I think these stories are in the same class as Lost mines, someone finds a mine, and cant remember how to get back to it? Why did pirates bury their gold? I just cant find a good reason for leaving a chest of gold and sailing off into the sunset. How many of these lost mines or treasure chest have been found? Another question about these stories, is usually the amount of the treasure is more than anyone could even move.

Sometime, we treasure hunters live in a fantasy land.

us
    Apr 2006
    Tennessee/Texas
    Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
    3 times

As good treasure hunters we might also remember that although some of the tales are fanciful and stretch the imagination, these tales do start somewhere with a kernel of truth. Of course through time that kernel of truth has grown into a field of corn and the kernel may be long gone, still you might be able to latch onto the truth some how. The Buffalo river is not too wide, I know because I have drank enough beer to fill it while canoeing it through the years. It should be relatively simple to find out where the old train trestle crossed it near Flatwoods. I would think starting at the Wayne county Courthouse would be a logical step. I assume Waynesboro is the County seat, but what do I know, I am from McNairy County.
    Regardless I am not going to totally poo poo the idea of CW treasure in the area. I think the amount would be much lower. I think the circumstances could be different than the tale. I think what ever was there it may be gone.
    I also think there may be some smoke to this fire. Don't get down, and keep researching until you find some good proof one way or the other. GOOD LUCK!!
    Arooooooo Wolf Pack

Sponsors