Fort Southwest

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dixie Digger
Must be nice to live so close to a real fort. I would beat feet to knock on every door in the surrounding area in an attempt to get approval to search around the fort. You might also see if the city will give you approval to search the area with some sort of an understanding that you turn over to the city all (most/some) of the historic finds that you locate. I know it is a lot to ask of any TH'er to turn over good finds but I think if you look at the big picture if you get a green light for this site they may give you an OK for another site. I would start with all the local homes and see where that takes you. I wish you all the best of luck. Please post pictures of anything you find.
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'
THing4CSA
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dixie...I agree with thing4CSA...doesn;t hurt to ask...I live near Portland Maine and there are some colonial forts here on some of the other islands, they are historical sites. I keep asking around to try and get permission to hunt there and have said I would turn all but the coins over to the city museumor hsitorical society...thus far all I get are polite no's..city and state policy not to allow detecting on any historical site...but I keep trying, if I luck out and get someone to say go for it, I will be in a boat damn quick and get over to one of the forts, am hoping someday to catch the right preson or get the others so sick of me asking they relent to get rid of me...:) But ABSOLUTELY ask around the neighbors houses...am sure some were used as boarding houses, bar rooms etc and had heavy traffice from the soldiers in and around the fort and neighboring homes. Good luck and never give up!!

S

SouthCarolinaTeacher

Hey Dixie,

Glad to see someone near Kingston :)

If my memory serves me right, I want to say that the ground has been 'worked'; by this I mean they have added soil to the top of it.

Did you happen to go in the office? They have a TON of relics in there. But, it probably wouldn't hurt to check it out to see if you could get permission.

Check out this site, you might be interested....
http://www.roanecountyrelics.com

Ian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread