Artillery shell iding by shell wall thickness?

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Artillery shell id'ing by shell wall thickness?

I've been hunting a few months now and have found a good 50-60 frags. ID'ing them is now my goal. Should one be able to tell the size of shell by the thickness of the shell wall? :dontknow: I have a nice chunck that is 1.6" thick but there is not enough to deteremine diameter. I've determined that the frags that are btwn .45" and .46" thick are 12lbs cannonballs but other than that I'm stuck. Any reference would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fever87

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Artillery shell id'ing by shell wall thickness?

I do believe I've figured out where the large fragment came from. Reading the "Official Records of the Union and Confederate Navies in the War of the Rebellion" I found that the USS COMMODORE BARNEY when she arrived on 15Apr1863 carried "IX-inch guns". These Dalhgren guns fired 90 lbs balls and that would fit general what I have.
The "Official Records" for the Siege of Suffolk are an interesting read as the ADM Lee and Gen Peck traded some heated barbs in their official correspondence.

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
fever87

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Artillery shell id'ing by shell wall thickness?

CSA2K - thanks for the links - a tremendous wealth of info there. I will post photos of the frags I am uncertain of. I have a list of the guns, both Navy and Army, that would have been in play at the seige of Suffolk so I can narrow it down somewhat. It's just a bit of a guessing game beyond that. I do appreciate your help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread