Chesterfield Va Civil War Sites?

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pick up the keyboard, crack your knuckles and flex your google-fu skills on researching the history of your area. There is so much history within a 20 mile radius of you you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a historical site (that is if your into swinging dead cats :D). Just hitting the local park could yield relics for you. But do your research. Knock on a few doors and ask permission to hunt a field. The worst the landowner could do is say "no" (or maybe hit you with a dead cat). Sorry I can't be specific - I am still only researching the Suffolk area.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fever87, great reply and spot on.. The only thing you left out is, leave no stone unturned.. There are a lot of stones in VA too :thumbsup: :tongue3:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sterling in Va said:
I'm just getting into metal detecting and was wondering if there were any known sites in Chesterfield, Virginia to relic hunt. Anything would help. Thanks.

Wow. Cool place to hunt. Find nearly any place, and put the coil on the ground,, You do not even have to research as long as you do not mind the walking. Relics are not everywhere, but all of a sudden there they are! lol

hanoverdigger

Oct 27, 2010
Hanover County, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites MxSport Teknetics T2 SE Nautilus 2 b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done a lot of detecting in Chesterfield and did very well. Especially along Rt.10 east of Rt. 1...Earthworks galore. Been hunted hard but have been lucky on occasion. Dug a nice 1776 4 Reale in there along with bullets and a few yankee buttons. Any where in that particular area is good....knocking on some doors may help also. The Ramblewood Rd. area is good also. These are just A FEW spots I've been in. All along Jeff Davis can produce also. We hunted a lot that was cleared for a church...bullets, bullets, bullets. In short Chesterfield is a heck of an area for Civil War relics. Good luck!!

OP
OP
S

Sterling in Va

Feb 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. One more question though. Are you allowed to hunt in parks? I'm pretty sure your not allowed to in Richmond, but what about in Chesterfield? And even if you weren't, would anyone stop you?

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sterling in Va said:
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. One more question though. Are you allowed to hunt in parks? I'm pretty sure your not allowed to in Richmond, but what about in Chesterfield? And even if you weren't, would anyone stop you?

What kind of parks? No historical parks but you might be able to hunt county parks with play grounds a such.

Something interesting about Chesterfield A.P. Hill was buried at Belgrade Plantation for the Second time(which is now Ruth Cris Steak House).

OP
OP
S

Sterling in Va

Feb 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I meant county/recreational parks. I know you could get into serious trouble if you brought a metal detector to Richmond National Battlefield.
Also- I had no idea A.P. Hill was buried at the Ruth Chris Steakhouse! I new it was an old plantation house and all, and I have seen his picture in the lobby, but I had no idea he was buried there!

hanoverdigger

Oct 27, 2010
Hanover County, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites MxSport Teknetics T2 SE Nautilus 2 b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sterling in Va said:
We used to hunt at Point of Rocks Park years ago and did pretty good in there but has been closed off to metal detecting. Don't know why. Really can't say if other parks are off limits.

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hanoverdigger- are you from Hanover County?

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hanoverdigger said:
ynpto804 said:
Hanoverdigger- are you from Hanover County?
Yes I am.

Nice To see another local on T-net. I was born and raised in Mechanicsville. PM me some time if you ever want to grap a cup of coffee and talk digging.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The simplest way to get your answer is to phonecall the Chesterfield County Police Department and ask if there are ANY parks owned by Chesterfield County that you can use a metal detector in.

jadebutterfly

Jan 22, 2013
chesterfield va
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hi guys,
I live in fairfax county but I am from the moseley area of chesterfield. I regularly go hunting with my dad on weekends. Would love to know of any good places to go hunting in either chesterfield or powhatan counties. Also if you live in the area and would like to meet up for some hunting, let me know! :thumbsup:

Startnover

Feb 13, 2013
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Wilson Rc3, Whites VX3, Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi to everyone, just signed up but I have been lurking for a while. Just wanted to share a personal experience. After being out of the detecting game for 20 plus years, I decided to get a new detector and start going again. Long story short, while coin hunting at a local school, I was approached by the school's facility coordinator and told that it was against the law to hunt there. When I asked for him to show me the law that said that, his responce was I'll show you the law. Pulled out his phone and a couple of minutes later two county police cars pull up and ask what the problem was. I told the officers that I was coin hunting and just wanted to see a copy of the law that says it is unlawful. Well after waiting for about thirty minutes the patrol officer comes back and gives me a piece of paper with the current code that covers this. Here is the Virginia code that they gave me ( 18.2-140 ).

18.2-140. Destruction of trees, shrubs, etc.

It shall be unlawful for any person to pick, pull, pull up, tear, tear up, dig, dig up, cut, break, injure, burn or destroy, in whole or in part, any tree, shrub, vine, plant, flower or turf found, growing or being upon the land of another, or upon any land reserved, set aside or maintained by the Commonwealth as a public park, or as a refuge or sanctuary for wild animals, birds or fish, or upon any land reserved, set aside or maintained as a public park by a park authority created under the provisions of § 15.2-5702, without having previously obtained the permission in writing of such other or his agent or of the superintendent or custodian of such park, refuge or sanctuary so to do, unless the same be done under the personal direction of such owner, his agent, tenant or lessee or superintendent or custodian of such park, refuge or sanctuary.

Any person violating this section shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor; provided, however, that the approval of the owner, his agent, tenant or lessee, or the superintendent or custodian of such park or sanctuary afterwards given in writing or in open court shall be a bar to further prosecution or suit.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-178; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1976, c. 757; 1998, c. 81.)

He did tell me that you had to have written permission from the principal of the school you were at or the parks and recreation guys to be able to hunt legally in the parks and that probably ain't gonna happen. I was told that I could surface hunt in the parks as I would not be violating any rules. After the facility guy left, one of the officers showed me a cannon ball he had found. He was an avid relic hunter and was going to the big DIV in November. We probably talked for another hour about metal detecting and civil war history. They took my name and information and I am in thier file so I am scared to do anything without permission.

Hope this helps and HH

Skinsfan

Feb 14, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garret Pro Pointer
Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hi guys,
I live in fairfax county but I am from the moseley area of chesterfield. I regularly go hunting with my dad on weekends. Would love to know of any good places to go hunting in either chesterfield or powhatan counties. Also if you live in the area and would like to meet up for some hunting, let me know! :thumbsup:

The simplest way to get your answer is to phonecall the Chesterfield County Police Department and ask if there are ANY parks owned by Chesterfield County that you can use a metal detector in.

Nice To see another local on T-net. I was born and raised in Mechanicsville. PM me some time if you ever want to grap a cup of coffee and talk digging.

No, I live in the Midlothian area of Chesterfield.

I am Midlothian off 360..if anyone wants to get together to hunt send PM. My new F4 should be there this week. :icon_thumleft: would be great to have some contacts

KFerguson

Greenie
Jan 23, 2013
Hanover here

I am Midlothian off 360..if anyone wants to get together to hunt send PM. My new F4 should be there this week. :icon_thumleft: would be great to have some contacts

Im looking for some places to go and meet some cool digging friends. i have only found one bullet and i was happy as you know what..:icon_thumleft: im hope to find some where else to go im just in it for the fun and the history. PM me if any one wants to meet up and do some hunts and know people where we can go. Thanks

Feb 25, 2013
Chesterfield, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am just getting started and am also looking for some places to hunt and people to hunt with, as well as the right equipment to purchase. I too live in Midlothian so if anyone is interested in helping out a newbie and an eventual hunting partner, let me know.

J.Cohoon04

Oct 3, 2013
N. Chesterfield, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher F2, CZ70 Pro (Borrowed), Tesoro Cibola(Sold), Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well hell, why don't we all just meet up and talk shop!! lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread