Not a MD find, but Civil War related, DEFINITELY!!

CanYouDigIt

Greenie
May 7, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a noob to MD'ing as well as TNet. That being said, I've found myself perusing all of the various sub-forums/threads on TNet. Here I am on the Civil War thread, and I just thought I'd share some family history with any/all of you who might be interested. My great-great grandfather was one of only a handful of surviving Civil War veterans when he passed at the ripe ole' age of 93 in 1941. What's "cool" is that I have in my possession, his ORIGINAL enlistment, reenlistment(from the field), and discharge papers! Pretty cool piece of history, both family and,...well,...history! Along with the papers, there's some photos (not military) of him in the hospital at age 91, the FIRST TIME he'd ever been in hospital EVER, when he fell and broke his hip. Ironically, during the time of his hospital stay, he was suppose to be in Gettysburg for the 75th Anniversary (which I too, have the actual invitation from the U.S. government.) There's also a chronological list of all of the engagements and battles which he was in. Also a handful of newspaper articles. In a short interview given by my g-g-grandpa, he recollected how he stood mere FEET away from some guy who gave some speech called the Gettysburg "something or other" :laughing7: Ummmm,....how cool is that?!?! He was also a P.O.W. at Andersonville Prison, where as I'm sure most of you history buffs know, approximately 2 out of 3 Union soldiers did NOT make it out alive!! Thank God my g-g-grandpa did!!

At any rate, if anyone is interested, I wouldn't mind scanning many of the documents. If not, no biggie. Just wanted to share a little of me/the fam history. And just a side note, our family tree/history here in the states can be traced all the way back to before the Revolutionary War. Cool beans!

Upvote 0

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posting some pics would be cool for many to see here. Also have you done ancestory.com to build your family tree? If you research you might find more relatives or information on your G-G-Grandpa and his relatives.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread