WV

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
Thanks Franklin, I'm in the southern part around the coal fields in Boone, I found there have been a couple battles around my area but have been built on by homes and a city and railroads. I'm pretty new to this and just got my first detector which is quick draw II. So far just fooled around in my yard which yielded a bunch of old nails, but so far am enjoying and my girlfriend does too, we both love the history of it. Yeah if your ever around my area close to Charleston maybe I could learn something and I appreciate the help. Have you had many good finds?

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
Thanks, I've never heard of Samuel Clemons where was he and what did he do. I've got a few locations I can hunt locally and practice before I start the bigger places cause I wanna get used to my machine first and I'm gna make it a habit to dig everything. I'm mostly hunting in central Boone Co. on private land that has ridge lines untouched and a couple fields but no one knows what all is back there so it's gna be a shock to both of us if something is found. I figure it will be practice and even though I'm not for sure of there was actually any kind d of history in the area I'm gna hunt I know there have been a few families live around there and.you never know what they may have lost. You got any goos pointers, the digging every tone I think is a big help. Thanks

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
Ok I appreciate the tips, but on my opinion anything I find or dig is a good find. Hopefully find some good stuff but weather and work are playing a factor right now unfortunately. If your ever around the area just send me a message and are if we can find us a spot cause I'm 20 min from chapmanville if you think that would be good, thanks for the tips and good luck on your hunting and if possible show off some of your finds sometime

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Cornell, Huntington, WV here.

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
Man those are good finds, where did you find them and how deep, I like those alot and that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for, great find

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
No kidding that's pretty neat, the property I'm gna hunt is private property and is 80 acres owned by my girlfriends family so.I won't be telling nobody. So your spot got hunted out before you could return? Thanks for info, unfortunately I'm a little doubtful I find anything good my first few times out but gna give it my best, but I just enjoy being out. Have you ever four d revolutionary war stuff or and any relics from civil war like knives or stuff

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
That's a good point, I've researched my local area where I live but ain't found much. The property I'm gna hunt is private property and has been lived for at least 100 yrs and has a field, I'm also thinkin maybe some troops marched through here possibly cause there was a battle just on the other side of the mtn and its in between a couple battles which was about 9 miles apart but slim chance but worth a try. I appreciate the tips, I'm gna try to do some research on the area and are what I can find, the library don't have much here so gotta turn to the net or somewhere else. Do you seek.your stuff or keep it when you find it.

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
That's awesome, where u gna be located at. I bet that's goin to be good job to have. At least yours is goin to be real unlike American diggers ha ha ha

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
Yeah I went today without much luck, lotta false readings and stuff but that say that is normal with the quick draw II, what's the best tools to carry when hunting to dig with

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
Thanks, I tried one of those wal mart folding shovels today and it was an epic fail and bent and was ruined after my first dig and trying to get through roots. I heard that a garden tool is handy but of its anything like I dug today I would be awhile, most of my hits was comin up as 8" or so and I had a lot of hits but nothing to show can't figure out how to cut down on the machine goin off as much, seems like it comes up with a lotta hits on the trash side and I always dig it even if it says 8" cause I'm afraid I might miss something. Guess I just gotta work with it and learn the machine but I hear that's what you get with the lower end machines like the quick draw II. Thanks for the info though I will get one before my next hunt which is hopefully next week when I ain't stuck at work

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
Thanks man I appreciate it, it has a ground you balance so I need to.learn it and the signals to cut down on the holes and size of them, you've been a big help and I appreciate it, hopefully soon I will get it figured out and can start to find stuff, but thanks again for all your help

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
Well I don't think its ground balance I.can adjust its the discrimination level and sensitivity, I.didn't know if that would help me or not , that's the only two knobs I.can adjust. Then I have the buttons on the face that can click all metal or.auto notch so not sure what the best move is. So did you sign a.bunch of holes when you first started too?

ripper6xray

Greenie
Jan 22, 2013
Parsons,WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT E series , Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello fellow wv'n here lookin for a MD partner, are any of you near tucker randolph or preston county, anyone looking to go out after this snow melts off?

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've found some whopper .69 cal minnie balls in Fayette County WV still looking for a button or buckle lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread