how to id a cannonball?

P

path

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help me id a cannonball my sons found in the creek behind our house. Its roughly the size of a large orange, heavy...8lbs.? with a seam around the middle. It has an irregular gray patch on one side, possibly where the gunpowder was sealed in? I also wanted to know if this thing is dangerous? They were kind of tossing it around before I took possession of it!! After all it was used to kill people with!! Is it dangerous? I would be thankful for any info you can give me. By the way, is it worth anything? Kind Regards, Path p.s. I can try to get a picture attached later when my computer savy son returns from school!

Upvote 0

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
That's very interesting. A photo will help for sure.

I'll let some with more expertise answer your questions, but knowing where you are located would be a big help as to what type of cannon ball it may be. Also, I'm sure there are several of us who would be very pleased to metal detect the area around the creek to look for more items if that's of interest to you. Do you use a metal detector, or did you just post to the forum to learn about this find (the kids found it without a detector I gather?).

C

cachenut

Might be a shotput someone tossed out. Orange or is it rust red? Cannonballs have a hole where the fuse screwed into. Filled with lead balls and black powder.

I would not let my sons play with it if I thought it was a cannonball. ?? >:( ??? :'( ??

Dangerous. Not very, but in the hands of a 13 years old. YES. A stick is a dangerous weapon for them. Don't play with it, it is not a toy.

If you take it to a local relic shop they can ID it and also tell you who to contact to get it preserved and rendered inert. (won't blow up). They drill it, wash out the powder and fill it with some goo that forever keeps the powder, if any is left, safe. If you don't get it preserved the rust continues until it falls to pieces. Cost me $20 last time.

It is dangerous but not very. If it dries out it might explode under unusual conditions. Don't put it in a fire to see what happens. Don't cut it open with a torch. Don't cook it in the oven. Don't set it in the summer sun for 3 months and then toss it around.

I heard of a man who had several in the back of his pickup. He left them in there all summer long driving and rolling around and one finally exploded. It made a hole in his truck but he was okay. If someone who has cannonballs rolling around in their truck in the first place can be called "okay".

OP
OP
P

path

Hi everyone, thanks for the info. My Sons found this thing laying on the gravel in the creek behind our house.They didn't use a dector. It was laying out in the open. Maybe it had erroded out after high water went over it? We live in Mo. by the way. I will try to attach a picture of it so you can tell me if it is a cannon ball or not. Kind regards, path

Attachments

• cannonball size.JPG
    cannonball size.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 3,917
  • cannonball size.JPG
    cannonball size.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 1,455
OP
OP
P

path

Thanks Charles! That is a neat website. Thanks for the link. I really didn't understand how much each ball weighed? Also did you see the gray patch on the side of my "grapeshot" what could that be? Did grapeshot have gunpowder inside and sealed up by some kind of patch? Any info you or anyone else could give me would ge greatly appriciated. We are getting closer to solving this mystery! Kind Regards, Path

H

histoplasmosis

What about a shot put from a local school. Looks like the grey stuff could be the outer coating unless your sure its capping a whole?

OP
OP
P

path

Histo, I have no idea. How much does a shot put weigh? I'm just guessing about the gray patch closing up a hole full of gunpowder. It does have a casting seam around the middle? Does a shotput have that? Thanks, Path

H

histoplasmosis

Shots can weigh any were from 6,8,12,16 pounds depending on if its a women's shot or jr.'s shot which might be what you would have.

I would assume it would have marks from casting I don't know how else they would make it.

But who knows I know they made cannon balls that exploded before impact and stuff right near the end of CW.
]
Does it seam like its solid or is there stuff moving around inside?

H

histoplasmosis

Whoops they also make shots in 3lb weights for special olympics and 10 and 14 lb weights I think that about covers them all.

Really hard to say. I would say depends a lot on where you found it. If it was a shot put I would assume it would be found in close proximity to a school. Who would want to lug it around depends where you found it again.

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heres a little story of why,

About 6 years ago my neighbor found a cannon ball down around the rail road tracks.? ?Thinking it was neat we all started to play with it.? Throwing it around and rolling it down the street and what not.? Then we showed it to my dad a civil war antiques appraiser.? Then we got the news it was fill with gunpowder.? Thats right it was an exploding cannon ball from around the civil war era.? If it is one of these it will have a plug on one side where they filled it with powder.? ?Long story short the bomb squad got it and blew it up.

Be very sure that it doesn't have a plug on it.

OP
OP
P

path

Cedarratt, My Boys were tossing that thing around before I played "mean Mommy" and took it away for safe keeping! What kind of plug or patch are you talking about? This thing has an irregular gray patch on it. I'm not sure what it is made of...deffinately different than the iron ball though. Kind oif rough and gritty with a sparkle or two in it. I wish I knew more about this kind of thing.

Histo, Thanks for the input. We don't live close to a school...but who knows how far that thing was washed down the creek in high water? If it is a shotput, the kids would be happy they could throw it around again! Kind regards, Path

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't say where your located. Perhaps a little research of your area may indicate whether or not a cannonball should be there. Good luck and god hunting........

OP
OP
P

path

Hi Mr. Hudson, We live in Mo. I do know that there were 4 old civil war forts down by the river...We live about 5 miles away, as the crow or cannonball flys! I have a member of our local civil war roundtable comming by today to look at the artifact. Thats what he called it. He wants to measure and weigh it for a more accurate id. Thanks for your input, and I'll let you know what he says. Kind Regards, Path

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
The plug on the one we had was a steel screw typ thing that had been filed down so that it match the curve of the ball. It also had small stampings of numbers indicating the size of the charge.

W

WDPenderLivesOn

path, if you're still out there I think I found your answer. We found three of these things the same size as yours near tar river here in NC and as far as diameter and weight goes this is almost a perfect ID. It is listed in the Warmans Civil War Collectibles Field Guide. Heres the description.

4lb solid shot

Very early type solid shot made for smoothbore gun, 3-1/8" diameter and weighs a bit over 4lbs. From the battle of Lexington, Missouri September 18-20, 1861.

Early pick-up, very good shape.......................................................................................$115

I know you said you were from MO, so I'd say that right there is your answer. Looking at your pic a few posts up compared to the dollar mine are the same size. Thing is I stay in NC. So I'd love to know how they got here or where they were made.

WV Hunter

Greenie
Sep 1, 2005
West Virginia
I found one about the same size. It is solid no holes etc. They used different types some would explode and some were solid and different sizes.

WeaponsUSMC

Jul 26, 2005
Findlay Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
actually there were three types of cannon balls used, exploding, shrapnal and solid. solid is of course solid, but the other two would have places for fuses. If you find one of the two dangerous types there are people who can disarm them and are worth up to acouple hundred bucks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions