Major Civil War battles took place in Kansas, many courtesy of William Quantrill.

ks_hunter

Feb 24, 2008
Wichita, KS Area
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Tesoro Tejon & 2 Banditos, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Courtesy of the Wichita Eagle today..

It was an interesting read on CW happenings in little ol' Kansas..

- Antietam, Gettysburg, Bull Run were all Civil War battles that took place elsewhere.
Of the hundreds of battles fought during the Civil War, four were fought on Kansas soil, and at least two dozen skirmishes were fought in Kansas.
But four stand out as major sites. Two are the sites of Confederate raids in Lawrence and Baxter Springs, and both have ties to Confederate guerrilla leader William Quantrill.
Those two raids would be used as fodder to inflame the anger of Union officers and soldiers who used the battles of Mine Creek and the Marais des Cygnes a year later as a chance for revenge.
This year marks the 150th anniversary of Quantrill’s raid on Lawrence and Baxter Springs.
The Civil War took a hard toll on Kansans in 1863 and 1864, with ferocity and violence.
Quantrill’s most infamous raid occurred on Aug. 21, 1863, when he and his raiders sacked Lawrence. On his orders, they aimed to kill “every man big enough to carry a gun.” Raiders killed 150 abolitionists, all of them men.
But Quantrill wasn’t done.

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quantrill was famous for his raids in Kansas. Bloody Bill. Good reads and thanks for sharing.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been researching some places in Kansas and hopefully this winter I can get out there and do some digging!

ghost

Mar 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go to Kansas City every year and this time I am going to take my metal detector. My cousin lives close to Westport.

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
You should also note that during the August 1863 sacking of Lawrence, Quantrill and his men also made of point of killing boys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread