Real or Fake Civil War ID tag disc

redskinfan1

Jun 12, 2011
Hello All ID Disc experts:
I feel I may have been burned on this item. I just purchased a Civil War Eagle ID disc. After reading The ID disc guide today by Joseph Stahl, and showing this to a local expert, I feel it has some problems. The alignment is totally off and, as stated in the book and by the expert, this should be treated with caution. Can you please let me know your thoughts on this disc? The alignment is completely opposite to the examples in the book on Eagle discs. The hole is also very jagged.
Thank you all for your time.

Attachments

• burr1.jpg
    burr1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 752
  • burr2.jpg
    burr2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
Upvote 0

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The hole looks like it was made with a square nail. Other than that I have no idea if it is real or not. It looks good though if it aint...d2

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hope for your sake its real.maybe you could take it out of the case and photograph it some more and one of the experts here can better help you.welcome to Treasurenet by the way.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...The alignment is completely opposite to the examples in the book on Eagle discs...
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
I have no idea what you are talking about - but, it sounds like where the hole is punched? If so, I did a quick search and found another disk that is close to yours (hole punch). Again, haven't a clue - just thought this might help...

Attachments

• cwid.jpg
    cwid.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 284

ronr

Dec 26, 2010
Central Va
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks right to me. Found him in the History of The 14th Regt on line. Looks like somebody cleaned it too much at some point.

OP
OP
R

redskinfan1

Jun 12, 2011
Further clarification and Thank You

Thanks to all who responded. After reading the ID classification guide by Joseph Stahl, my biggest concern is where the hole is on the reverse where the name and unit are. On Eagle ID discs, the hole is to the right of the Eagle, which is correct on my disc. The reverse hole usually begins where the name of the soldier begins. In this case the hole hits where the name ends. The alignment is flipped. This may be just an error made by the sutler, and I hope it is, but the guide says to use caution if it is not correctly aligned as the location of the hole is prevalently located in the same location on Eagle Discs. The image from VPNAVY is a good example of what I am referring to on the disc. Am I just being paranoid?

Attachments

• cwid2.jpg
    cwid2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,502
Last edited:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What concerns me is the hole takes out letters in the name. But, I did find this info about your token's owner. Hopefully, it is the real deal.
Vermont Civil War

Zebco

Sep 11, 2012
Eastern,N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2-SE---Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe he broke the original necklace and had to open the hole for whatever he had to fit.Just a thought.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post this in "What Is It" thread.. You will get some good answers! Thanks.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I know nothing about civil war relics. However, just going on my eye and what little common sense I have, I would say this is definitely altered. Who ever altered the hole could have done a neater job in my opinion. Why would one alter this fine piece? I'd think altering this piece to wear on a larger chain would be the only reason for doing so. Also, if I altered a piece to wear on a thick gold chain, I would want my alteration to look nice and original. Instead, as one posted above, it looks like a cut nail was driven through the hole on this piece. On a high note: I do not think this piece is a fake. Think about it. If a person made this piece with intentions of passing it off as authentic, they would have done a neater job on the hole. Those are my thoughts. I think you have a nice piece.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right NC Field.... This is not a fake! I told this member too bring this too a a well known Civil War dealer in Stafford,Virginia who is been in business for over 30 years and is probably the most knowledgeable person when it comes to ID tags and is credited in many Civil War artifact books. He concluded that this is a real ID tag!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread