VA. Young Smith &CO button

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I was out today in a tobacco field looking for Native American artifacts and came across a civil war button. I live in NC. On the VA. Line. The pics make the logo on the front of the button tough to see, but I'm certain it's a VA. Button. It is a guy with a staff holding his foot on another guy. Can any of you guys shed a little light on this piece for me? Is it silver coated, or coated at all? I have soaked this piece in water, but really do not know what I should do next, as far as cleaning goes. I wouldn't be so hesitant to clean this if I knew if it were coated or not. Thanks for any help!!

image-2064598329.jpg

image-332264844.jpg

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be similar too the one you have:

Attachments

• virginia.jpg
    virginia.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 465

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ammonia lemon soap works wonders on buttons, you can buy it @ wal-mart for about 2 bucks. Here is some before and after photos of buttons I have cleaned with Ammonia lemon soap. Eagle Cavalry button and The NC button was in pretty bad shape but 2 days of cleaning it with ammonia worked wonders on it. It may or may not work for yours but it is worked wonders on some of my buttons before.

Attachments

• ammonia1.jpg
    ammonia1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 328
  • ammonia2.jpg
    ammonia2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 322
  • ammonia3.jpg
    ammonia3.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
image-2982680767.jpg

I think this is a mint version of the button I found and the one you posted. The button was silver plated or coated. I'm thinking that is my green tarnish. Correct me if I'm wrong. I suppose the silver that has flaked off is equivalent to spilled milk. No need to cry over it. Lol! I would like to save what little silver is still there, but is their any need? Should I go ahead and soak it in a diluted citric acid? Lemon juice, as you mentioned, diluted may eat the remaining silver off. However, I don't plan to sell it and finding it was a fluke. I may as well clean this piece and hope for the best. I truly thank you for your help. I forget which general led his men through my county. However, I have always been told which road the men traveled. This find actually reveals more about the route traveled by the troops. It is a significant find for my county and I think I'll donate this piece to my local museum. That is, if I can get it to looking decent.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I have cleaned this button with a toothpick and water. Below are pics. I'm scared to do any more cleaning until someone knowledgable views the button. I'm wandering if the green is a tarnished silver venire. In hand, all lettering is visible on the piece. It seems like removing the green would take the lettering with it. Any advice is appreciated.

image-3358325979.jpg

image-2234870565.jpg

image-2481566893.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lol! I've read and reread this one. Lots of good advice here, but I'm unsure of which trail to take. Thanks TN. And Ernie.(going by avatar, sorry for wrong name) you both have helped tremendously.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I'd find this post.. congrats. again on that find N.C.
I wish I could drive right over with a couple of my detectors and hunt that field with you.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I thought I'd find this post.. congrats. again on that find N.C.
I wish I could drive right over with a couple of my detectors and hunt that field with you.

Thanks Bro. Ride on over! I really do not think much civil war activity went on in my county. However, surrounding counties have state maintained battle grounds. Maybe more went on here than I realize. If you ever listened to the old song "the night they drove ol' Dixie down", Virgil Kane was the narrator of it, and he served on the Danville train. This was found about 15 minutes away from Danville. Not sure why I think that is significant.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember those men and their families lived in homes all over your area.
It doesn't have to have anything to do with a battle site to have artifacts from that time.
That button was there most likely because a garment containing many of them wound up there.
There's a very high probability that there is more.
And probably other items associated with that time period.

Last edited:

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, most CW relic hunters would LOVE to have found that puppy. I'll throw you another cleaning method: Soak in regular vinegar for about 10 minutes and clean with very soft bristled toothbrush. You can repeat if needed - this time, go about 5 minutes. When done, rinse all the vinegar off with water. I don't claim to know if this will damage some buttons or not, but it brought mine out really, really well (But mine are mostly SNY gold gilded or union staff). Soft bristles tho bro . . .

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Man, most CW relic hunters would LOVE to have found that puppy. I'll throw you another cleaning method: Soak in regular vinegar for about 10 minutes and clean with very soft bristled toothbrush. You can repeat if needed - this time, go about 5 minutes. When done, rinse all the vinegar off with water. I don't claim to know if this will damage some buttons or not, but it brought mine out really, really well (But mine are mostly SNY gold gilded or union staff). Soft bristles tho bro . . .

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty happy to have found this piece. It's got me pricing detectors again!

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Ammonia lemon soap works wonders on buttons, you can buy it @ wal-mart for about 2 bucks. Here is some before and after photos of buttons I have cleaned with Ammonia lemon soap. Eagle Cavalry button and The NC button was in pretty bad shape but 2 days of cleaning it with ammonia worked wonders on it. It may or may not work for yours but it is worked wonders on some of my buttons before.

I got some ammonia lemon soap today. I'm going to give it a shot in a day or so. It did work wanders on your buttons. I can't see what would make mine any different. Thank you for the advice and I hope to see many post in the future by you. Good luck out there!

lucky larry

Apr 16, 2013
Congrats on your find.
Never had the pleasure of cleaning a CW button but your post brought a question to mind: if you (or anyone) plan on giving/lending an item such as this to a museum, would they not have it professionally cleaned/restored? I'm sure this is a duh question but am new to MD and trying to absorb as much as I can.
Thanks

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Congrats on your find.
Never had the pleasure of cleaning a CW button but your post brought a question to mind: if you (or anyone) plan on giving/lending an item such as this to a museum, would they not have it professionally cleaned/restored? I'm sure this is a duh question but am new to MD and trying to absorb as much as I can.
Thanks

Thanks Larry. Hopefully you'll have the joy of cleaning even better than this. I think museums take them in most any condition. The nearer mint, the better.

lucky larry

Apr 16, 2013
You are fortunate to live where you do. I lived in Atlanta for 20 years where, seemingly, every intersection (and Atlanta has many intersections) is steeped in CW history. I grew to love that part of Americana. In fact my one and only "big" find (federal belt buckle) was on the path of Sherman's march to the sea. Happy hunting!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion your NICE button looks to me like it's about as good as it's going to get. BE CAREFUL & don't over do it. As I have on a few items I've dug over the years. It looks good to me.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
In my opinion your NICE button looks to me like it's about as good as it's going to get. BE CAREFUL & don't over do it. As I have on a few items I've dug over the years. It looks good to me.

I think you just gave the best advice i could get. I haven't cleaned on it any more because I have a guy feeling you are correct. Thanks!!

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NC Hunter.. Find a Civil War show to go to and bring the button with you and ask a few dealers on the way to clean it. I can give you a phone number to Nick Harris of "Regimental Headquarters" a Civil War shop in Stafford,Virginia that is been around 30 years 540-371-3309 and you can ask his advice on cleaning it, if you are paranoid about the ammonia soap or other ways of cleaning. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread