Upvote 0

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would venture a COLT DRAGOON 3rd variation made 1858 maybe a Colt Whitney Hartford or English Colt Dragoon The only thing that " throws me " is that the loading level looks Square , which the Colts were not You have the picture in front of you so look closer at the loading lever ------ I cant make out the screw pattern since his hand is covering it ---

Do a GOOGLE search under images for those colt names

No idea about the buttons

Last edited:
OP
OP
oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe

May 26, 2010
Thanks a bunch. That gives me some direction. Now if I can identify the button that could give me a state that this soldier had come from.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry's Texas Rangers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This is them Dragoons as I mentioned were mounted pistols Horse Killers held a 45 cal round with a 60 Grain charge of Black Powder --- in close quarters enough to kill a horse or knock the man off the horse I LOVE THE RESEARCH !!!!!!!!!!!
Where did you find the picture the link said they fought the entire war and most major battles

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me know what you find out Love when it all fallls together Can I get a LIKE

OP
OP
oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe

May 26, 2010
CITIBOY289, You are right my friend. I cannot believe I have an image of this unit with a rare Walker revolver. That is definately an 8 on the button. I have found the same jacket used by trans Mississippi and Texas units. Thumbs up and unit solved. Highly recommended member.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Thank You But it isnt a WALKER DRAGOON Its a 3 variation Dragoon Walkers lacked a front loading level hasp lock and the loading lever was pointed at the end --- Either way its a Fantastic PICTURE ------ being from a unit that has TEXAS RANGER history and such a historical battle history
Ever come upon a problem like that again Give me a shout !

OP
OP
oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe

May 26, 2010
I will. I will have to go through my images and see what has some potential identification. I did find what looks like J Davis inside the case. With a name like that there would have been several.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually think if you research that 8 Texas Cav there was a research list under the reactors group 8 Texas Cav co B .org Or something like that

OP
OP
oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe

May 26, 2010
I had found two J Davis's. I would feel better if I had found an 8th regimental coat button. I know the French used regimental buttons in the Revolutionary War.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old it does not indicate the 8th regimental but the 8th battallion Glad you found the j, Davis looks like you have this wrapped up Alot of progress in less than 48 hours ------- I read the battallion history they fought here on the Georgia Front That approach to Atlanta and the battle of Atlanta is my hunting grounds If I ever find an 8th button I will let you know

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8TH Calvary repo flag is listed on ebay as we speak

OP
OP
oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe

May 26, 2010
I have found French Battalion buttons from the Spanish American War 1830's with the large 8 very similar to the one on his coat. We know buttons used early in the CW had to be militia which used buttons plus other military related items from previous wars. I would like to find an artifact used in the CW that has that button. Appreciating your help my friend.

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you show any other examples of this button??

OP
OP
oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe

May 26, 2010
It may not be an 8? With the glass there looks like a ring around the button showing it is two piece. I think earlier buttons were one?

OP
OP
oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe

May 26, 2010
I had sent the pics to a couple CW button experts and one said it looks to be a Confederate States Central Government button and not an 8. The upper button shows a slightly a different look.

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me it looks like a lined C. But that's just my eyes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread