Second Seminole War! No Seminole war category so this goes in civil war :)

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
These are several artifacts i've dug up on my property over the past year and a half that date to the Second Seminole War. I've already recovered 1,500 artifacts and still have much more area to dig up. :headbang: There was most likely a soldier encampment on my property during the SSW.

Attachments

• 100_5277.JPG
    100_5277.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 504
  • 100_5272.JPG
    100_5272.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 319
  • 100_5273.JPG
    100_5273.JPG
    378.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 100_5270.JPG
    100_5270.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 100_5274.JPG
    100_5274.JPG
    449.8 KB · Views: 232
  • 100_5328.JPG
    100_5328.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 100_5280.JPG
    100_5280.JPG
    404.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 100_5293.JPG
    100_5293.JPG
    435.9 KB · Views: 231
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, let me just say, I do respect you opinion and consider you to be an expert. If I've offended you accidentally, let me apologize. I know from what I've posted it seems like no military activity.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No.. not at all.. I'm looking forward to seeing your finds.
I really wish you had a better metal detector.
You're going to come up with some real cool stuff from that site I guarantee it.
Best of luck.

OP
OP
G

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
No.. not at all.. I'm looking forward to seeing your finds.
I really wish you had a better metal detector.
You're going to come up with some real cool stuff from that site I guarantee it.
Best of luck.

Alright, good. Yes I wish I had a better detector too!

OP
OP
G

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
My dad and I were just talking and we wonder if maybe the CS on a spoon handle of mine is not CS but actually US. The C/U is heavily damaged so its hard to tell. Also my only iron flat button I've always thought had design originally but got destroyed over time and the electrolysis process. It's the right size for one of your US buttons. Who knows.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well..as far as I know the government wasn't making utensils or having a specific supplier make them with a U.S. mark... and the General Service buttons at that time were pewter.
Pewter is a mix of tin and copper and can deteriorate in a way that looks a little like rust.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
allright, i thought pewter could rust. nevermind then.

Irregular

Mar 2, 2011
Virginia (Occupied)
I stumbled upon your thread here, Donneybrook and thought I'd add a few items that might be of interest. It was not my good fortune to dig these but rather to have a generous friend who did back in the early 70s when clearing began for the Crosstown Expressway at the location of Fort Brooke and the adjacent trading post in downtown Tampa. Probably twenty years ago he gave me a pickled okra jar full of items which I knew the origin of but not until early this year did I dissect piece by piece. In the collection image are obviously a slew of trade beads, fairy stones believed to bring good luck and ward off evil spirits but not indigenous to Florida, what appears to be a pottery shard and some beans. If anyone cares for detailed images of the beads I'd be happy to provide them. I will include two images of beads I found to be the most interesting and made of a fibrous material, covered with miniscule transparent "beads" themselves. Some of the glass beads measure .10" in diameter so they were doing some serious screening. In a separate case I've a few military buttons of varied design from the fort.

Attachments

• IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0098.JPG
    IMG_0098.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
G

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
wow! Those are beautiful! Does the guy who hunted FT Brooke own a metal detecting store?

Irregular

Mar 2, 2011
Virginia (Occupied)
No, he's in his nineties (actually in the VA hospital at this moment with kidney stones). He did give me my first detector back in the mid-70s; I can't recall much about it except a deflection meter and it operated on C batteries, I think they were. He was president of the Florida Archaeological Society at one point and has given me a number of CW items including some from the blockade runner Scottish Chief or Kate Dale. I always thought them to be from the Chief, but the last bit of research I recall seeing was that it was actually the Kate Dale that was upriver. I am more than open to correction on that subject.:)

OP
OP
G

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
No, he's in his nineties (actually in the VA hospital at this moment with kidney stones). He did give me my first detector back in the mid-70s; I can't recall much about it except a deflection meter and it operated on C batteries, I think they were. He was president of the Florida Archaeological Society at one point and has given me a number of CW items including some from the blockade runner Scottish Chief or Kate Dale. I always thought them to be from the Chief, but the last bit of research I recall seeing was that it was actually the Kate Dale that was upriver. I am more than open to correction on that subject.:)

ok gotcha. the guy i was talking about actually found a 2 1/2 dollar gold piece at Fort Brooke a long time ago! I can't imagine how heavy that C operated detector would weigh! lol!

Irregular

Mar 2, 2011
Virginia (Occupied)
ok gotcha. the guy i was talking about actually found a 2 1/2 dollar gold piece at Fort Brooke a long time ago! I can't imagine how heavy that C operated detector would weigh! lol!

Depending on the time period of his gold find they may have been working together with a difference in age(?). Yeah, things have changed- that old detector may have been cutting age in its day. Too bad that whole area's been paved over; modern detectors might pull a whole deeper layer up and out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread