Button found at 200 year old house? what is it from?

treasurechris

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting north nashville,tn at a house built in the late 1700's. This house was used by confederate soldiers. I found this button and was wondering how old it might be and if it came from a soldier? I have seen a few like it but none exactly. It is the size of a nickel and has standard color treble gilt on it in brass it looks like. Can someone tell me some history or when it dates back. Thanks P1040072.JPG P1040073.JPG

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has the spelling of "color" and not "colour" which "colour" is the British way of spelling color, you see "colour" on the early 19th c back-marks of British made buttons and not "color" - because it has the American spelling of the word "color" rather than the British spelling "colour," it is American-made, which keeps it from being pre-1815s. The button dates in the time lines of 1820s-1860s. It surely could have been worn by Confederate soldier. These buttons have been dug in Confederate camp areas - there was a English manufacture who made civilian type coats for the confederacy with flat buttons baring your back-mark,treble gilt, and a couple other similar back-marks using "color".

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

treasurechris

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does this make it more valuable that it was american made? What do you think the value is?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread