rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if these could be from the Civil War? I really dont know how to tell. Also how could I clean them is another question? I do know the CW was in the area here in N GA. Any ideas would be great, thanks rock

Attachments

• 100_4151.JPG
    100_4151.JPG
    440.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 100_4153.JPG
    100_4153.JPG
    427.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Upvote 0

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock,
I'd say that they are old but, how old is anyone's guess. Were they found near any other artifacts?

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock,
I'd say that they are old but, how old is anyone's guess. Were they found near any other artifacts?

I did find a old iron wagon wheel near them but it wasnt from the CW. I did some research on the wheel and its old but not that old. The wheel was in rough shape and missing a couple of spokes. Only worth the recycle on it. Which by the way isnt much. On the horse shoes the real skinny one is the oldest but I was told you cant date the shoes. Ill have to go back to that spot and look around another day when I have some extra time. Thanks

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having dug quite a few cw horse shoes (which I normally hang on a tree when i find them in the woods) I don't call myself a expert on horse shoes but I have learned quite a bit about them.. "Burden Iron Works" made millions of Civil War "machine made" horse shoes for the union and the horse shoes they made (if you ever dug one you can tell) were the best of quality, using the most potent iron of this earth, there machine made horse shoes to this day - if you dig one you would need a jaw of life to bend them, while a confederate horse shoe was basically hand forged and crumble in your hands when you dig one up in todays time.. The horse shoe you have look like they were hand forged - which during the mid 19th century that was common to have most iron in the South hand-forged and not machine made during the war period, up in the North they had much more machine made products... I would date these two horse shoes you dug from sometime in the late 19th c to the early 1900s, but depending on how good the soil is to artifacts they could date to the mid 19th c., so i guess really who is to say these can't date to the cw era? if not by a soldier by a civilian..

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread