Gettysburg

ghost

Mar 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was getting cabin fever, so I decided to drive up to Gettysburg this morning. Took some pictures and had the whole battlefield to myself. Was tempted to take my detector out of my car but kept on seeing signs that posted no relic hunting. I knew that anyway. I should have asked some those home owners that live on the battlefield if I could check their property. Ground was frozen over anyway.

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live by Chickamauga. They even catch you with a detector in the park you are toast. I suggest you keep your hunts legal in landowners yards.. Battlefields like that and mine are sacred ground. Until they give me permission I will enjoy like every other visitor.
Did you get any food pictures to share?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I was up at Gettysburg and Antietam this summer. Follow the rules, they are watching even when you think they are not. At Antietam, there are bird houses all over the area. I thought "Gee, that's nice". I caught a glint off one. A camera was inside the bird house. I began to notice other bird houses that had wire mesh over the opening for the bird. None of these were built for the intention of housing birds.

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Teknetics Whites Garret detectors
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If they catch you they will lock you in jail & throw away the key. The moment you step out of your car with a detector there will be frog men coming up out of mud puddles. Seriously it's not worth digging on federal property. If you get caught with relics they will fine you for each one. Then they will go to your house & take all of the relics there because they don't know if you dug them on park property. Your not allowed to even have a detector in your car when on park property. That is a very foolish thing to even contemplate. Stick to private land with permission.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I had to dig through my photo archives, but here is a photo at Antietam of the one camera. I didn't get one of the bird house cams.
Antietam 051 (Small).JPG

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO ,Just having a MD in your car/ trunk is a stupid reason for you to get into any trouble
( tho I can see a ranger Questing you)
IMO -One should be arrested/ charged if you attempt to use your machine on the property.

Example , last year we went to visit some family in Tunnel Hill Ga , & I had my machine JIC.
And on the way home we stopped by the Chickamagua Battle field ( just for a short visit) & DEF, NOT TO HUNT.

Ill be Darned If they tried to charge me with a crime just for having the MD in my trunk.

Just my opinion.
Davers

OP
OP
G

ghost

Mar 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the pic. Next time I go to Antietam, I'll check for the cameras. Its not worth detecting on the battlefield. Wonder if they will stop me right outside the boundary?.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Thanks for the pic. Next time I go to Antietam, I'll check for the cameras. Its not worth detecting on the battlefield. Wonder if they will stop me right outside the boundary?.

You know if you have been there before that the Antietam site is a large area not just the Cornfield, Bloody Lane, or Burnside Bridge. Take the driving tour, and take note of all the bird houses. Look closer and you'll see more than half with the caged mesh to prevent the birds from entering. I wouldn't even think of taking a detector out. Studying the troop movements before and after will lead you to plenty of private property for you to swing your coil over.

F75PAHUNTER

Mar 10, 2014
Hanover Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LTD, Deus Xp, tecknetics gamma, Garrett pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Negative Ghost rider pattern is full of park rangers that will lock you up, Even if you google map the federal property marked in light green you don't know what land they have aquired recently,, as for a metal detector in your car your ok on state roads and streets of gettysburg but once you enter the park thats when you get into trouble. Outside the federal boundry/park is mostly private property 360 degrees around gettysburg except southeast where calvery battlefield is, its hard to get permission to go metal detecting unless you know someone, most all have been asked at sometime or another

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Kleenex box, broom handle and a Frisbee would make a nice little fake detector, would love to see their faces when they come to bust you only to find out you don't have squat LOL!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm really enjoying this thread.

What about night detecting?do their cameras have night vision?

How about a 5" coil strapped to ones foot while the cord runs up their pants?

Thoughts?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is illegal to even have a detector that is assembled and ready to go inside your car at the Gettysburg park. If you get stopped and searched, you will lose your machine and be charged with a crime. Don't even have one in your car unless it's disassembled on these federal sites.

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not only fines but they have the right to confiscate anything used to commit the crime. meaning they can take your detector, equipment , and your vehicle.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well since there is a Metal detector Dealer in Gettysburg, it should be very hard for
them to arrest someone for having a detector in their car, But I heard those rumors also.
Some say you need to have batteries in it to get in trouble.

Still it comes down to, You have to first give them reason to pull you over & search.

I would guess though a metal detector in the trunk, may get you questioned
but not arrested.

unless you tell them you were "tuning it in" :laughing7:

It is illegal to even have a detector that is assembled and ready to go inside your car at the Gettysburg park. If you get stopped and searched, you will lose your machine and be charged with a crime. Don't even have one in your car unless it's disassembled on these federal sites.

Still good info/advice though :thumbsup:

Last edited:

gman7665

Mar 1, 2013
Campville New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's if Your Lucky "You will get Locked Up" , A local may just grab You by the Ears and make You Squeal like a Little Piggy... I'll bring a Camera so I can capture that moment when Your Eyes are Flashing and You have a lower shaft and Coil sticking out of Your Dumb Ass ...LOL...

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's if Your Lucky "You will get Locked Up" , A local may just grab You by the Ears and make You Squeal like a Little Piggy... I'll bring a Camera so I can capture that moment when Your Eyes are Flashing and You have a lower shaft and Coil sticking out of Your Dumb Ass ...LOL...

that's some good 'ol classic cop tactics

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anybody else seen the detector shaft which you mount your smart phone on and looks like a walking cane?. There is no coil on the end so it must work like a pinpointer I'm guessing. How about the sandal detector coil? I would not do it myself but these might be the way to go with stealth detecting...ha ha.

images.jpg index.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody else seen the detector shaft which you mount your smart phone on and looks like a walking cane?. There is no coil on the end so it must work like a pinpointer I'm guessing. How about the sandal detector coil? I would not do it myself but these might be the way to go with stealth detecting...ha ha.

View attachment 965986 View attachment 965987

well first off you either have to walk like a Cripple sliding your foot side to side slowly to cover ground,
Or count on stepping exactly on the object.

Add to that what probably amounts to no depth.
on top of the ground only. or just under at best.

Even so, if you even bend over to pick something up in a National Park you can be fined
my a Mo-Ron ranger.

I wouldn't doubt they watch everyone they see who walks with their head down.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
well since there is a Metal detector Dealer in Gettysburg, it should be very hard for
them to arrest someone for having a detector in their car, But I heard those rumors also.
Some say you need to have batteries in it to get in trouble.

Still it comes down to, You have to first give them reason to pull you over & search.

I would guess though a metal detector in the trunk, may get you questioned
but not arrested.

unless you tell them you were "tuning it in" :laughing7:

Still good info/advice though :thumbsup:
This raises a question though. Do park rangers even have the right to search your vehicle without a warrant ? Not condoning detecting there in any way. I consider that to be on the same level as grave robbing. Just a question about our rights concerning illegal search & seizure. Do you sign a waiver giving them permission when you enter the grounds ? I have never been there.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This raises a question though. Do park rangers even have the right to search your vehicle without a warrant ? Not condoning detecting there in any way. I consider that to be on the same level as grave robbing. Just a question about our rights concerning illegal search & seizure. Do you sign a waiver giving them permission when you enter the grounds ? I have never been there.

No entering Gettysburg is like entering any other Town or City.

No I'm sure They still need reason to search.
But that doesn't stop all wanna be authority Figures from breaking the law
and searching anyway. if they want to.

The fact you say NO ! is their excuse to distrust you.

as for not condoning detecting there .

You have a Right to your opinion :thumbsup:

if it were not a National Park I'd do it without Fear.

of course most of the Rotting/rusting relics would have been dug & saved by now

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread