d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
at what I stumbled across yesterday. First I found the scabbard throat, then the handle and then the finnial. 12 feet away I found the rest of the sword drove into the ground. The handguard and the piece that goes thru the handle are bent over but I will take it. Has anybody got any idea why the sword would have been driven into the ground ? Perhaps a picket pin?...d2

Attachments

• DSC01684.JPG
    DSC01684.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 368
Upvote 0

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
D2, Could Very Well Be A Grave Marker For An Infintry Officer Or An NCO. What Is The History Of The Area ? Battle Field, Hospital, Camp ? trk5capt...

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was an over night camp...d2

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a fantastic find! I found part of a sword blade near a skirmish site. I can only imagine how you felt when you found the entire sword. WTG!
Mike

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Great find d2!! congrats. Do some research on that area, there may be a reason that was drove into the ground that way. Good luck and HH.

kenb

tabsrus

Feb 4, 2007
wow that rocks, go back there surely more stuff in that area that is a find of a lifetime to me. congrats........

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D2, when you say drove into the ground, was it up to the handle? Or was it sticking out of the ground? Either way, nice find.

Sentinel

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was drove deeper than the hand guard. The handguard and blade were about 6 inches deeper than the top of the ground. The scabbard throat and other parts were laying about 12 feet from where the sword was in the ground...d2

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinkin grave marker.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes indeed, most likely a grave marker then.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
What a fantastic find! Why would it be twelve feet in distance if it was a grave?
Are you going back? If So, I would place some type of marker on that grave in exchange for the sword if you do believe it was a grave marker....

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Oh my gawd...

No way was it a picket pin... not a horse on the planet woulda' stayed tied to that with out breaking it.

I think that is one of the most excellent finds I've seen in a while! (To me anyway!)

I would have smiled myself to death!!!!! :) :) :) :)

Great Job finding ALL of it!

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am going back tommorow to check the theory of grave marker. If it turns out to be so I will put something there to take the place of the sword. I hope he wasnt buried with all his accouterments ::) Just joking folks, I thought about that the day I found the sword and checked, if there ever was anyone there they aint there now...d2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread