PDF Scan of my Great Great Grandfathers POW Discharge Paper from Civil War

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
PDF Scan of my Great Great Grandfather's POW Discharge Paper from Civil War

I have the original, and this PDF comes in upside down, but when you view it you can rotate it in order to read it.

My Great Great Grandfather perished in a forest fire shortly after his release, and we know NOTHING about his circumstances. Since we were from Patrick County, Virginia, we can only assume he served under JEB Stuart.

As you can see in the attachment, it was folded, and he carried it in his pocket during his journey home.

View attachment POW Release.PDF

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
What a wonderful piece of family history. You are lucky to have it!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
His first name was Abram. I'd have to ask my mother what the "H" stood for.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's really cool! Makes history personal.

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
Hi Deepseeker. Nice family history. I also see the 4th ID patch (another famous outfit). I got a little info that might interest you on your Confederate ancestor:

Abram H. Robertson was indeed from Patrick County, Va. He enlisted 4/1/1862 in Patrick County as a Private and was assigned to Turner's Company of the Goodrich Light Artillery of Virginia.
On 10/9/1862 he transferred into the Orange [county] Light Artillery of Virginia.
He was wounded in action at the battle Chancellorsville on 5/3/1863
He was captured at Gordonsville, Va. on 4/15/1865 as the war in Virginia was ending, and was confined at Newport News, Va. prison.
He took the Oath of Allegiance on 6/14/1865 at Newport News.
He was described as being 5'7", blue eyes, and dark hair.

With the above information, you should be able to have some fun researching him, the artillery units he served in, and the battles that he was probably in.
What more can you tell us Civil War guys about this ancestor?
Take care, Geologyjohn

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow!!! Thanks Geologyjohn, this is incredible!!!

My mother does genealogy, is curator at the county museum, still works at 88 years old. She's been doing genealogy since 1980, and never found this information.

I just forwarded this info to Mom. Abram passed in a forest fire shortly after the war. I used to have his estate listing, but can't find it now. Aside from our family land - which I purchased from my grandmother in '79 - I remember his net worth was listed as $32 and included a 3 legged stool..... So, I guess they were pretty thorough.

In Mom's genealogy research, I'm sure she has found info on others. You will have "primed the pump" with this info, and I'm sure she'll share anything she has with you.

I'll get back with you via PM on that.

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
I'll help you any way that I can. If you other CW ancestors that you need some help on, shoot me what you know, and Ill get back to you. What have you found detecting on that property that you mentioned? I've been detecting for 48 years. But I live 3,000 miles WEST of you, so I won't be hunting Va. anytime soon. John

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi John, I've lived away from home most of my life, all over the country. Seems I remember Mom said there were 5 on her side, and 5 on my father's side who fought in the Civil War. Our ancestors were also veterans of the Revolutionary War as well. Mom is Sons & Daughters of the Confederacy, and Daughters of the American Revolution..

My ancestors settled my land sometime after William Penn surveyed the area in 1730. Dad's side came from Edinburgh in 1650, and Mom's side came from Edinburgh in 1690.

IMAGE0007.JPG

That's me in about 1952 standing in front of the 3rd house on the property - the chimney is still standing.

In more than 30 years of detecting on my property, I have found 1 Merc, and 4 wheats, and a bunch of misc iron. However I've only focused on the current home area which is by that 3rd house. I've the stables and other two house sites to hit yet.

Mom told me that when she was a child visiting her grandmother there in the early 30's, she lost a nickel. Her grandmother wrote her that she'd found the nickel - she'd searched for it for two weeks. Money was that important back then. My ancestors were dirt poor farmers, but at least land owners.

My father's side were Turners, also of Patrick County.

Again, thanks for your help!

Roger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread