Cannonball Identification SOLVED!!

C

coondog

I'm at a loss folks.
It has a brass filler plug which appears to have a "71" engraved on it. There is an almost perfectly round 1 inch in diameter spot which appears to be a plug (in the fuzewell??) but it is smooth.
It has a casting seam around its circumference which would tend to indicate to me that it's Confederate but I'm not sure. Not even sure it's from that era.
The location of the filler plug in relation to the supposed fuzewell has me buffaloed as to the origin of the ball.
If you hold the ball with the brass filler plug pointing down (6 oclock position) the 1 inch fuze plug(?) is at the top right or 1 oclock position.
It was found in a dumpster in South Carolina by a dumpster diver. He turned it over to local law enforcement and they turned it over to us (Bomb Squad).
The guy in charge usually just wants to counter charge these things and make 'em go away, but he's granted a temporary stay of execution in this case. We're going to x-ray it tomorrow and may be able to see the fuzewell better on the film along with whatever is inside.
Does anyone know or have an educated guess as to the history behind it.
The best measurement I can get is approximately 3.8 inches in diameter and I'm guessing the weight is about 10 lbs.

Attachments

• Brass Plug.JPG
    Brass Plug.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 2,575
  • cold plug1.JPG
    cold plug1.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 2,107
  • Cold Plug.JPG
    Cold Plug.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 2,010
Upvote 0

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, GPX4500, AT Pro, F75 LTD, DFX, MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Cannonball Identification

I'm no expert on cannonballs but you could check this page:

http://www.relicman.com/artball.htm#A1485

It looks like this one:

A1787 Ball, "case shot" shell, Confederate copper time fuse, iron side plug, smoothbore 12 pounder, 4.62 in.

It's being sold for $450. It would be a shame to just blow it up.

OP
OP
C

coondog

RockyDig said:
It would be a shame to just blow it up.

Yeah I know! I'm not too concerned about the monetary value it's just that they're not making this stuff anymore and it breaks my heart to have to destroy it.
The head Kahoona has given me 2 weeks to research it's historical significance and then determine if it's inert. If it is inert it goes back to the guy who found it. Maybe he'll sell it to me who knows, but at least it'll still be in existence.
Back in 1996 an individual turned in a Confederate Parrot round. It was live! Members of the Squad counter charged it in a pit. It's now a part of the South Carolina geology. Damn shame too.

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

I Believe That You Have There A Confederate 12 Lb Spherical Case Shot, The Iron Filler Plug Is Off Sided On The Round, That Is The Way They Were Made. The Fuse Does Not Look Right To Me There Should Be A Depression In Between The Wrench Lugs, I Think That You Will Find That The Round Has Already Been Deactivated And That The Fuse Has Been Replaced With A Brass Plug. Please Let Us Know What You Find Out. Coondog, Below I Will Post My Two Best Bomb Squad Pics Just For Laughs. You Guys Stay Safe. trk5capt...

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,198
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 919
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,026
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 958
OP
OP
C

coondog

:D :D The first pic is demonstrating the definition of an S.O.B.!
The second pic demonstrates the effects of stress on your hairline! ;)

I may be able to upload an x-ray pic sometime tomorrow night. That should give tons of insight!

OP
OP
C

coondog

After about 1000 x-ray pulses it was determined that the "cannonball" was a solid mass!
It didn't make sense. Why would a brass plug be inserted into a solid iron cannonball.
I called Jack Melton who was kind enough not to laugh when he informed me that what we had was in fact a shot put.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions