Civil war buckle

michaelsmith

Greenie
Nov 20, 2013
Need help with this bucke. Any information would be helpful. It's not Bonny blue. It's from Tennessee/ Georgia. Can't find another like it anywhere. Not for sale

image-1252478864.png

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Upvote 0
OP
OP
michaelsmith

michaelsmith

Greenie
Nov 20, 2013
A friend of mine did 15 yrs ago but close to tenn./ga. Texas star is a little bit different than this though.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly, it doesn't look like a "good" buckle to me.

OP
OP
michaelsmith

michaelsmith

Greenie
Nov 20, 2013
What you mean by "good" buckle? I'd love to see one that's better. I'd love to see one that's anywhere even close.

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
Can you post a photo of the back of the buckle showing the belt hooks? Thanks!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you mean by "good" buckle? I'd love to see one that's better. I'd love to see one that's anywhere even close.

A "good" buckle is one that is a real original, a "bad" one is a repro or fake. Sorry, but the one you show doesn't look good to me.

OP
OP
michaelsmith

michaelsmith

Greenie
Nov 20, 2013
One of the hooks was broken off when found & I'm debating on whether I should have it repaired or leave it alone? Any advice on this would be appreciated.
image-2956072.png

OP
OP
michaelsmith

michaelsmith

Greenie
Nov 20, 2013
Here's a little better photo of buckle up close.

image-3393416781.png

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that buckle wasn't dug from the time period, and if it was it was over cleaned so bad it's terrible. So if it was dug, which I believe it was, because I'm not calling your friend a liar then it was lost by a reenactor or buried by someone with intentions to make it look aged, but it didn't sit long enough before it was found.

It would be associated with Mississippi or Texas if it were real.

I'd be willing to bet the replica manufactorors stamp was on the hook that broke off.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine did 15 yrs ago but close to tenn./ga. Texas star is a little bit different than this though.

The location of the GA /TN border puts the find in the right area - Terrys Rangers Traveled up along the Al/GA border then crossed into TN to provide backup the the Confederate forces , There was a post SOMEWHERE on T net about a guy who actually located the line of travel they took and followed it , He had a HUGE collection of finds of TX material and had researched it back to Terrys Rangers line of march
Now is it GOOD or BAD I am far from an expert on that But the location your friend mentioned would put it in the ballpark of activity of Texans

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The location of the GA /TN border puts the find in the right area - Terrys Rangers Traveled up along the Al/GA border then crossed into TN to provide backup the the Confederate forces , There was a post SOMEWHERE on T net about a guy who actually located the line of travel they took and followed it , He had a HUGE collection of finds of TX material and had researched it back to Terrys Rangers line of march
Now is it GOOD or BAD I am far from an expert on that But the location your friend mentioned would put it in the ballpark of activity of Texans

I would like that route.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TN sent you the old post in PM Here is some Terrys Ranger info for Texas in Ga /AL / TN area Terry?s Texas Rangers | YesterYear Once More I know I saw a map of their line of march somewhere I will keep looking when the weather turns cold again right now busy in Ringgold area

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were TX or MS Oval Buckles made of Pure Brass like that one?

I'm leaning toward 'Repo'
but
U never Know.
If the real deal , An awesome find.
Davers

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
Modern reproduction, and a crude modern brass CAST one at that.
The originals were die stamped (not cast), lead filled (back) with arrowhead hooks. See the standard reference books, such as Plate #299 in Steve Mullinax's "Confederate Belt Buckles and Plates" (1991), and Plate #238 in "Plates and Buckles of the American Military 1795-1874" by Sydney Kerrksis (1974,1987,1991).
A word to all would-be military memorabilia collectors, always buy the standard references BEFORE you start spending your hard-earned $'s.

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Had: Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Bandito 2 uMax, Tesoro Bandito 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
like someone said above, if your friend dug that plate, it was dropped by a re-enactor, or someone buried it in recent years. I'm not an expert, I'm just a nobody, but that's just a crude reproduction. the ones that come out of north Georgia usually have a really nice green patina. if someone handed me that buckle and asked me if it was from the civil war, my answer would be a definite "no". but like I said... I'm just a nobody.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions